Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,867   Posts: 1,583,215   Online: 936

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    p.s. I have a razor just like the first picture of yours. I used it for at least 30 years (and it was pre-owned when I started with it). Now using a Merkur.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I just take a digital photo of my face and fix it in post. Right?

Shooter
    35mm
    My favorite blades are the Astra Platinums. They seem to work consistantly in all my razors. The Derby's only in some and I can't get on with any of the Gillette, Dorco, Crystal, or Wilkinson blades. Never tried Feathers, although I should. Just learning straights, but my technique must stink because I can't get a hollow grind razor to stay sharp for more than 1/2 a shave even when I've had a pro hone it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Blooze View Post
    ... but my technique must stink because I can't get a hollow grind razor to stay sharp for more than 1/2 a shave ...
    mine too

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm a disposable guy; have never used the old school razors. Funny, considering how old school I am with photo equipment.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Images
    Blooze - No pressure! That was my big mistake (although my face paid for it more than I did) when learning. I thought I was using light pressure after using double-edges, especially aggressive ones like the old open combed Gillettes or adjustable Gillettes on 9. Need a super light touch and really really good beard prep. Double edge blades seem to hack through better, so are more forgiving of prep work.

It's taken me a long time to get even half-way decent at stropping, too. That killed sharpness faster than poor shaving technique. I wasn't stropping enough laps, and excessive downward pressure on the handle while in motion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Unused blued steel razor blades like the old Gillette ones are sort after by people who are into crystal radios because they act as diodes. With some wire for an antenna and a ground connection, a headphone, a safety pin for a whisker and you have a radio.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 03-27-2013 at 11:59 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    Cast your minds back to when electric razors had been out for a few years and had certainly got better. Well at that point remember all the hype about it being the end of wet shaving, out-dated, primitive technology etc? Ring any bells with another debate?

pentaxuser
    Yes.

Wet shaving still gives the closer shave, once again convenience trumps quality. You actually have to know how to use a razor, the electric thingys, all you have to do is rub them around your face and they shave you (sort of).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    Unused blued steel razor blades like the old Gillette ones are sort after by people who are into crystal radios because they act as diodes. With some wire for an antenna and a ground connection, a headphone, a safety pin for a whisker and you have a radio.
    You can buy blued steel in strips, by the foot or by the mile, from places like McMaster-Carr. They make a really insensitive detector, though. Galena and pyrites are better, the crystal radio DXers are using Schottky diodes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I understand how you'd point a razor blade at a satellite, but how would you point a chunk of galena or pyrite... let alone a Schottky diode?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin