Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,900   Posts: 1,555,789   Online: 850

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Simpson View Post
    I can't help but comment on how similar razors and cameras are:
    the entrance cost is relatively low, but the cost of consumables will add up...

:-)
    It's a classic business model, which we learned about years ago in business studies....sell the razor cheaply, or at a loss, but make the profit on the proprietory blades. Interesting the same thing has happened on inkjet printers...sell the printers for "pence", then reap in the profits on the ink cartridges.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Or cell phones -- make the money on the service contract!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post
    It's a classic business model, which we learned about years ago in business studies....sell the razor cheaply, or at a loss, but make the profit on the proprietory blades. Interesting the same thing has happened on inkjet printers...sell the printers for "pence", then reap in the profits on the ink cartridges.
    Kodak in fact made most of its initial money using this very business model. Cameras were cheap, but only Kodak sold the film and processed it. Kodak didn't even mind if you bought a competitor's camera since you'd still be using Kodak film, most likely.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    127 Format
    Images
    Oh, these are sent off. Not going to lock the thread in case folks still want to talk about shaving.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah, I should have taken pictures when I was (Trying) to learn how to wet shave. Looked like I lost a fight with a reel mower. After a few days I went right back to my Sensor.

Kept, and still use the soap and brush though, sort of a hybrid shaving workflow....
    Tri-X in HC-110 forever.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do any of you double-edge users travel with your razors in this "tsa advanced security age"? If so, do they care, or does the razor need to be in checked baggage?

Shooter
    127 Format
    Images
    Razors are OK, blades are not. Some folks ship blades ahead of them, I use Bic disposable so I don't lose the semi-collectible Gillette fat boy adjustable which is now my only DE.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixcinater View Post
    Razors are OK, blades are not.
    I'm sure that you are correct, but in practice I've never been questioned by TSA about a DE razor with blade in it. I carry my razor in carry-on baggage but don't carry spare blades.

If questioned, though, I'd gladly take the blade out of the holder so they can dispose of the blade... but not the holder.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Images
    I can definitely see that working, Brian. Likewise, I've filled up my Camelbak numerous times within sight of the security line where they ask for no liquids. 100oz of H20 right through the machine, no trouble.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Images
    After nearly 6 months of no shaving, I cut it all off last night. Straight for most of the hacking, then just a bit of touch-up with my Gillette.

I'm never growing a beard again.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin