Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,564   Posts: 1,545,308   Online: 832

Shooter
    35mm

FS: A box full of adventure...

Alistair MacLean was always a favorite author of mine. Even as a teen-aged reader, I considered him a wizard at adventure and intrigue. Here are 10 novels I think might be fun to read over the summer, on vacation, while traveling, etc. As I recall, all these were best sellers. Were cameras involved? Yes, in a couple of them I seem to recall cameras/photography played into the plots. But mainly action, suspense, thrills, twists and turns, etc. They're all paperbacks, and all still in decent to good shape.

The list:

Partisans
    The Secret Ways
    Santorini
    Seawitch
    Where Eagles Dare
    The Black Shrike
    River of Death
    Night Without End
    Circus
    Ice Station Zebra

And I will include 3 more to make the box full:
    Perry Mason in The Case of the Beautiful Beggar (Erle Stanley Gardner)
    Agatha Christie...A Caribbean Mystery
    Ken Follett...A Place Called Freedom (Note: not as suitable for teenaged readers as the others listed above)

The price...$10 total for the entire box...and this includes the cost of shipping in the Continental USA only via Media Mail. That's as close to an average of 75 cents a book as I can get.

Sorry, but due to the weight and cost of international postage, this only makes sense as a Continental USA sale. Check, cash or money order, please and I'll need your mailing address. Please let me know if you are interested or if you have any questions. An email to jon_goodman@yahoo.com will probably be the best way to catch me.
    Jon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    What, no "Guns of Navarone"?

He was one of my favorites as well, back when I had more time to read. Great set of books.

Shooter
    35mm
    Yeah, well you know...I loaned a few Alistair MacLean books to a fellow who has either forgotten to return them or is a really slow reader. "Guns of Navarone" was one of those.
    Do you also like John D. MacDonald's books?
    Jon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I haven't read MacDonald; I got hooked on le Carre.

Shooter
    35mm
    Le Carre is very good. John D. MacDonald wrote a series based around a central character named Travis McGee. I think you should read some of them. Well, that's not really true. I think you should read every one of them. The titles always have a color in them..."A Tan and Sandy Silence", "Free Fall in Crimson", "The Lonely Silver Rain" are three that come to mind. McGee is an easy guy to identify with and I think that helps make the books appealing. He's not exactly a detective, and he's not connected with the police force. He lives on a boat and describes himself as a salvage consultant. When he's got enough money he retires. When he needs money, he takes on work. MacDonald also wrote non-series books including one which stands apart from any of his other work: "The Girl, The Gold Watch and Everything." This is easily one of the 10 most fun books I've ever read. Over the past 30 years, I've probably loaned over 20 copies of it to friends so they could read it and only one of those has ever been returned to me. A guy in New Orleans sent it back.

Jon

Shooter
    35mm
    Interesting link: http://www.movieinsider.com/m4834/travis-mcgee/ Evidently they're still talking about starring Leonardo DiCaprio as Travis McGee in a movie based on the first of the McGee novels ("The Deep Blue Goodbye").

Heck, except for the fact my eye color is wrong, I think I look more like McGee than DiCaprio: http://tinyurl.com/lq52uvd

What say you? Want to see me in a movie? Write the director, quick. I have time. I'm retired now, after all. If you're successful, I'll buy you lots of John D. MacDonald books.
    Jon

Shooter
    35mm
    All these plus all other books offered here in early summer are gone. Well, they're not actually gone as in destroyed, but gone as in "they have a new owner now."
    Jon

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin