Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,540   Posts: 1,544,321   Online: 919

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Somebody asked me what a "Preppy" pen is. You can see them here: http://www.jetpens.com/Platinum-Prep...ck-Ink/pd/4523
    For less than $4 these are very good. The ink isn't always my favorite color, but you can refill the cartridges. The purple medium point is great. Trust me on that one. It is more of a magenta than purple and people don't seem to forget if you write them a letter or note using it. If you're curious on what ink would match it, please drop me a note.
    Jon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't have any but here's a nice one:

http://bit.ly/19qEaJS
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had one leak in shirt pocket, on the afternoon I had a job interview. Too far from home to go change, so I went anyway.

When I got to the lobby, they told me I had to wear a visitor badge. It covered the stain perfectly, and I got the job. Was told later that they liked how relaxed I seemed, and how cheerful I was. After finding the badge hid the stain, I was a lot less stressed, and a very happy guy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ambaker View Post
    I had one leak in shirt pocket, on the afternoon I had a job interview. Too far from home to go change, so I went anyway.

When I got to the lobby, they told me I had to wear a visitor badge. It covered the stain perfectly, and I got the job. Was told later that they liked how relaxed I seemed, and how cheerful I was. After finding the badge hid the stain, I was a lot less stressed, and a very happy guy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    You got the job for demonstrating creativity under pressure.

Jon,

I just picked up a fine-point black Pilot V-Pen from a stationary store in Japantown... $4.35 at that shop, looks like the same website with the preppy pen has it and the US "Varsity".

On one hand it's great, crack the shrink wrap and get writing immediately. But it's a disposable pen and I'm sure soon as I get used to it, it'll run out of ink.

Long-term I think a crow's feather would be a better value.

Shooter
    35mm
    Crows aren't a protected species are they? If I could figure out how to use a boat-tailed grackle's feather, I might get some sort of award around here...
    Jon

I'll look into the Pilot and the "Varsity". I'm not much for fine points. Me mitts are oversized and a medium tip seems to be the best.
    Jon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You are delving into what can be an expensive undertaking good fountain pens are not cheap sir. I have a set of Parkers that I inherited from my Grandfather many years ago that still write perfectly after all these years. Kudos.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have a bunch that I use (no you can't have 'em). Surprisingly (?), it's the cheapest one that I like best: the steel-nib Parker Frontier Flighter bought when I started my PhD, though loading it with Aurora makes all the difference. Got a 14k M400 and a couple other "better" pens, but I still prefer the cheap Parker and have put about half a litre of ink through it so far.

Rapidograph and india ink is where it's at for permanently marking negs and prints though. Nothing else has the permanence to match silver.

Intrigued that you intend to "reimagine" the fountain pen since it's a design that has been hammered on pretty hard by a lot of smart people for over a century... Do you have a specific idea and are looking for parts to execute it?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    Intrigued that you intend to "reimagine" the fountain pen since it's a design that has been hammered on pretty hard by a lot of smart people for over a century... Do you have a specific idea and are looking for parts to execute it?
    Yes...I do have some specific ideas and I am looking for parts to study, copy, improve upon, etc. Initially, I'm curious to understand as much as I possibly can before I move ahead. I understand what I'm considering would require a capital outlay and I do understand there's a risk of failure.
    Jon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    At least you don't need crazy-expensive manufacturing processes. Assuming you actually mean improving the pen part and not just making pretty barrels (quite the cottage industry I understand, but I was always bemused that they all seem to sell their pens with the shittiest nibs because presumably the art/craft country-market is insensitive to that), have you looked into 3D printing? The nature of how the material builds up from molten threads naturally leaves a rough surface that I suspect would be good for capillary action in the feed, and I suspect that a capillary feed is the easiest low-tech one to get right - nothing more frustrating than a too-fast or too-slow pen.

I'm not sure if you're into flexible pens, but I'd be very interested to see a calligraphers' flexible nib (one that spreads under pressure for varying line width) that is NOT subject to damage from going that little bit too far, e.g. through a sprung hinge instead of flexible metal. Adjustable spring preload for fancy-pants points.

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes...improving the pen part is the whole idea. 3D printing is a good suggestion and one friend suggested a cad/cam laser cutter could be useful.
    Jon

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin