Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,452   Posts: 1,570,300   Online: 1082

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If you want to see a really good piston-filled design, look up Visconti pens. They came up with a piston system that lets you use a very large portion of the barrel, holding a LOT more ink. And despite the fact that they're Italian, they don't leak in day-to-day use (never flew with mine, so I can't say how well they'd handle the changing air pressure). See what you can find about it online - their pens are modern and NOT cheap. Montblanc on the other hand, well, my 149 (the famous big fat pen that looks like a black lacquered cigar) leaks like a sieve even when stored upright, capped. Which is a shame as I found it in the used 1/2 price case at Bertram's Inkwell with a left-handed Italic nib. And I'm a lefty.

I'd look into making the nibs with the 3-D printer. They've evolved from quills to steel and gold for a reason - the steel lasts forever, but it is stiff and scratchy to write with. The gold is not only beautiful to look at but it has greater flexibility, yielding a smoother, more comfortable writing experience. You might be able to get a compromise between them from the right blend of plastic. Quills wear out too fast (I cut one before, and while it works, it wears down fast and you have to re-cut it often - thus the origin of the pen-knife). You could also try glass - lots of pen stores, stationery stores and art supply stores sell glass dipping pens from Murano in Venice. They work well enough as a dipping pen, but you'd have to see what you could do about making a nib with a feed, otherwise they'd be a godawful mess.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Steel doesn't have to be scratchy. My steel Parker M nib is beautifully smooth and is my least catchy nib. Hard as a nail of course with no flex.

Shooter
    35mm
    By steel, you mean stainless steel, yes? Stainless is very easy to plate with gold, you know.
    Jon

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I don't know that it is stainless steel - most of the steel nibs I've seen are blued and/or Rhodium plated.

Shooter
    35mm
    That's interesting. All the ones I have (which admittedly are not many) are anti-magnetic stainless.
    Jon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Now here's an interesting question: How many of us film users also write with fountain pens? I have several Parker 51s that I use in rotation.
    Paul

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've got the aforementioned Montblanc, a couple Viscontis (including a demonstrator), several Deltas, a Waterman or two, and my pride and joys, My Omas and Montegrappa pens ( I have a 1993 Vespucci, a 360 and a Paragon all with flex nibs, a Hong Kong commemorative in sterling, a Montegrappa Exta in white, a Montegrappa Gothica in sterling, and a Harmony in faux tortiseshell). Oh, and a Parker Duofold in the Pearl & Black. I want one of the yellow 125th anniversary pens...

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by pmargolis View Post
    How many of us film users also write with fountain pens?
    I would not be surprised to find several did. You need patience and dedication in order to do both correctly. They're deliberate things as opposed to convenient things, yes?
    Jon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you're looking at fountain pen design, how about Lamy? I own a couple that I use daily.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tons of fountain pens here, everything from Hero 616s to a Mont Blanc 145. I like 'em a lot.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin