Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,750   Posts: 1,515,792   Online: 987

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

WTB: Old fountain pens

If any of you have old used and unwanted fountain pens, please contact me. I'm not talking about ball point or felt tip pens...I am interested in fountain pens (the kind that are refillable and use real ink and write with a nib tip). The kind that used to occasionally leak in your shirt pocket in school making you look and feel ridiculous because you can't go home until the end of the day. Those kind. If you have some of these and if you have an idea of what you might want for them, please send an APUG message or an email to jon_goodman@yahoo.com

This is for a study I've decided to undertake.

Jon

Shooter
    127 Format
    Images
    I have some but I use them all! Different ink/tips for different uses.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Jon, you may want to check fountainpennetwork.com. There are the true enthusiasts

I also write with fountain pens; I collect them and inks, too.

Good luck!

Sandra

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks Sandra,
    What I'm looking for is pens that I can study with hopes of improving on the design. Most of what I've seen at that site is much nicer and more expensive than I will need. Essentially I was hoping to find people with pens languishing in a drawer hoping for a new owner. I use ink all the time, too by the way. I particularly like brightly colored ink.
    Jon

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    no other classic design is better than Parker 51, now sells for 1-200 bucks. but you can search some Chinese fountain pens Hero brand. They have mimic some good designs at the populace price. The pupils in school are required to write in fountain pen still.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I still have the Rapidograph that did that to my shirts in High School... A piston driven by a thumbscrew. The idea is that you plunge all the way out, dip the pen in the ink bottle and spin the screw all the way back, sucking in all that India goodness. When the plunger sealed well, all was good. But man when it leaked you were in trouble.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mervynyan View Post
    no other classic design is better than Parker 51, now sells for 1-200 bucks. but you can search some Chinese fountain pens Hero brand. They have mimic some good designs at the populace price. The pupils in school are required to write in fountain pen still.
    No sh1t? I found one at a lawn sale for a quarter. Not only does it have a good bladder, I don't think it had ever had ink in it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Yep, it was fun when a pen leaked in your shirt pocket, wasn't it? The best of it was...almost nobody would tell you. You'd have to find out when you went to the men's room. I think the worst leak offender was a Wearever pen I bought at the dime store. I still have it, but cartridges haven't been made since about the time Ike and Tricky Dick were in the White House. I know...you can convert it to what they call an "eyedropper" model, but if it leaked with a cartridge, I'd really be hesitant to see what it would do with a whole barrel full of ink. Probably spit at me from across the room like a cobra.

I use a Parker 51 and a Sheaffer "touchdown" that I've had forever, and I have a couple of common Sheaffer models and some Japanese "Preppy" pens (much better in my mind than anything out of China), but as I said what I'm thinking about is re-imagining the design...not of the Parker 51 or the touchdown or the Rapidograph. Something simpler than that, and possibly even using a renewable material for the nib (bamboo for example or rattan or possibly something else).

We'll see what we see.
    Jon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    renewable material for the nib -- goose quill?

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes, something like a goose quill. But something that wouldn't make me a target for the PETA paint-slingers. That is unless I get to sling paint also. That would be fun.
    Jon

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin