Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,869   Online: 1022

Shooter
    Large Format

Great little printer plus two film scanners - local (Toronto/GTA) pickup preferred

I have two scanners and a printer that may be of interest to members in the Toronto/GTA area. They are available for pick-up at my home near Keele & Dundas West. Alternately, you could pick them up from me at the Image Arts building on the campus of Ryerson University, just around the corner from Yonge & Dundas (Dundas TTC Station), on the days when I am in the office. I would of course ship any of these but based on earlier quotes it may not be worthwhile. It is up to you. Assume shipping within Canada to be around $50+ and shipping to the US to be closer to $85 - $100. Detailed quote available for serious buyers. But hopefully someone locally will want these...

The printer is my own personal unit, which I am selling because I am upgrading to an R2880. I'm selling the transparency film with it because I want to start using the Pictorico Ultra stuff that is better with the K3 inks. The scanners are both units that came packaged with some gear I bought over the summer. I have a nice 4990 that I'm sticking with so I'm passing these two along. Everything functions perfectly and both scanners have both locks engaged. What this means is that the moving carriages in the lid and the body are both immobilized by locks that keep them from being banged around in transportation. If you are buying a used scanner you need to ask the buyer if they have locked the unit before shipping or carting it to you. If they respond by saying "locks...what locks?" then you need to politely decline and look for another seller, because the scanners will likely be way out of calibration by the time they arrive at your door!

PRINTER - $200
    Canon PIXMA ip4300 *complete* kit...before you think "oh get serious! I thought you meant a BIG printer!", this is a great little workhorse. It includes well over $400 worth of unopened, unexpired Canon ink and unopened 5-star grade Canon paper, as well as two unopened packages of Inkpress transparency film for alternative processes. And when I say well over $400 I mean at B&H prices, not at Henry's prices. In Canadian retail terms the included ink and media would be more in the range of $650+, in addition to the printer. While the printer itself isn't a pricey item it is no longer made and has certain virtues. It does auto-duplexing, which was really handy for making artist books. This was my main use for it...alongside printing proofs for work-in-progress critiques in my program (I'm a senior photo student at Ryerson). It also prints really well onto CDs/DVDs, which was a feature I used to make my catalog DVDs for the past year. The disc tray in included, as well as a spare disc tray (was randomly included in the box...a packing error in your favour!), as well as a the clear plastic cover that goes on the bottom paper cassette when it is pulled out into the active position. And for alternative processes you can get great mileage from a dye printer like this by using the RNP Array system...super simple...http://www.inkjetnegative.com/images/RNP/rnp.htm

SCANNER #1 - $125
    The first scanner is an Epson 4870. Comes with all original holders and works great. Fully functioning in all regards, this scanner has a transparency unit that lets you scan film up to 4x5" (in holders) or 6x9" (taped to glass or simply laid on the platen). Of course it also functions as a perfectly good 8.5x11" reflective scanner. Comes with holders for 35mm strip, 35mm mounted slide, medium format, and 4x5. Also comes with original drivers disc, manual, and a licensed version of Silverfast AI on original CD.

SCANNER #2 - $100
    The second scanner is an Epson 2450. It is an earlier version of scanner #1. This one is in like-new condition and I don't think it has been used much at all. Comes with all original holders, discs and manual.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Does either scanner work with Windows Vista and Windows 7? Our HP scanner doesn't work with either, so we are a bit up the creek. Very interested if the answer is positive. Thanks, Don

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lightwisps View Post
    Does either scanner work with Windows Vista and Windows 7? Our HP scanner doesn't work with either, so we are a bit up the creek. Very interested if the answer is positive. Thanks, Don

When I upgraded to a 64bit Win 7 machine, I found Vuescan would run on it and talk to an Epson 3200 and a Primefilm 3650u which were not supported by their makers. Not buying two new scanners made a copy of Vuescan seem like a steal! And I don't know what the latest Epson software does, but the "Smartscan" stuff with the 3200 insisted on scanning B&W text as 8 bit gray scale and was a total PITA that I had given up on well before Win7.

(FWIW )

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have checked the Epson.com website and found the support details for the free software from Epson for these scanners:

The older scanner (model 2450) is supported by Epson in both Windows 7 and Vista in 32-bit mode only. For 64-bit installs they suggest that users purchase Vuescan as the Epson drivers do not support this scanner in 64-bit mode.

The newer scanner (model 4870) is supported by Epson in Windows 7 and Vista in both 32-bit AND 64-bit mode. So you can use the Epson software with that scanner regardless of whether you have a 32-bit or 64 bit install.

Of course, Vuescan works really well with the newer scanner too...but if you don't want to purchase it you should have no problem using the 4870 with either of those Windows operating systems.

Shooter
    Large Format
    The Epson software works really well when it is supported. We use the Epson OEM software in the labs at school on the V700s and V750s and it is fine. I think Vuescan is better but you can take full advantage of the scanner with just the free Epson software.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Printer no longer for sale but the scanners are still available.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin