Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,274   Posts: 1,534,651   Online: 1097

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

FS: I think you REEL-y need this

From the late 1960s, here's an Akai M-10 Crossfield Reel to Reel tape recorder. This is something that definitely needs to be sold to somebody living in the DFW area because it is very heavy. How heavy you ask? I've carried grown goats that weighed less. Oh sure, they kicked and bleated more, but they were lighter. Seriously this is a 4 track recorder with 3 motors, sound-on-sound, auto reverse, button reverse, auto shut off, etc. So whether you're a guy or a girl, here's your chance to thumb your nose at MP3 players and cutesy "apps" that broadcast music and show your true stuff. I bought this in Fat Boy's Pawn Shop on Oak Lawn in 1974 and know very little of its life before me. The pawn broker thought it came back from Vietnam. I had it repaired once along the way...although now I can't remember who did the work or what was wrong.

I haven't used it in a while, hence it is part of the downsizing. That's the rule around here. Don't use it and you lose it. Now having said that, I put on a tape and fired it up and...it seems to be doing just fine. As I'm typing, I'm listening to Marvin Gaye singing up a storm back there, in fact. Oh, Marvin finished and now I've got "Look Through Any Window". Man does that take me back to another time.

This has some small chips in the veneer on the corners, etc but basically it still looks very good. Think of it as a time machine: Get a 7 inch reel (and I'll include for free all the reels of tape I have--at least ten 7 inch reels I think, all in boxes), record your favorite music at 3 3/4, mix a popular drink from the past...maybe some Harvey Wallbanger's or just get a bottle of Mateus Rose or wait...something Hemingway would have enjoyed (like Pernod for example) and then you and your significant other shoot the afternoon listening. Just listening and thinking and whatever comes naturally. Within a couple of hours you won't have any idea what year it is and you won't give a red rat's ah, that is to say...you won't care.

$100 for a bona fide time machine. Local (DFW area) sale only, please. No PayPal.

If questions, please ask.

Jon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Akai back.jpg   Akai close 1.jpg   Akai front.jpg   Akai cover.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wonderful John, I used to have wet dreams about the M10..or was that Suzy Quattro? Anyway, what a fabulous machine...something really cool about a reel to reel.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks...if you dreamed about Suzy, you probably don't want to watch Anna: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GvZlX5kFgU
    Remember don't watch. Just look the other way and listen. Terrific song with great lyrics originally recorded by Mina in the sixties. But don't look.
    Jon

PS...did the Miranda arrive yet?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Jon, do you think you could move to California so it would be a local pick up for me? I forwarded this link to an old Navy buddy of mine down your way. He was into cassette taping in a big way, don't know about R2R, but I thought I'd let him know just in case. He's a former USN Photographer's Mate who I knew on the USS John F. Kennedy and a pretty good guy.

Mike Sullivan
    When the chips are down,

The buffalo is empty!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks John, she's really...a good singer, I didn't look. Miranda hasn't turned up yet...maybe tomorrow.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Jon, what happened to your $8.10 anywhere in the world deal ?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Never heard the M10 before. At one time I had the pleasure of owning a the GX-747. So nice.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Goodman View Post
    Thanks...if you dreamed about Suzy, you probably don't want to watch Anna: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GvZlX5kFgU
    Remember don't watch. Just look the other way and listen. Terrific song with great lyrics originally recorded by Mina in the sixties. But don't look.
    Jon

PS...did the Miranda arrive yet?
    I looked. Couldn't help myself. Sorry.
    "All I ask for is an M5 with a fast lens, a roll of HP5 and a street to shoot her by."

StreetPhotographyBlog

Shooter
    35mm
    1.) I'd be happy to move to California. I'm tired of summer in Dallas anyway. However I'd have to leave my wife here and that would not be a smart idea.
    2.) The $8.10 anywhere in the world deal...well, in this case I think it is $810.00 Same numbers, though.
    3.) The M-10 may have been the first 3 motor recorder made, and it was introduced prior to all the gimmicky stuff (like 4 channel stereo and echo and other things). This was an impulse buy. Long story, but my income varied night to night then. I was heading back to my apartment as Fat Boy's was opening, I stopped to see what people had defaulted on and walked out lugging this.
    4.) I was kidding, but I think you know that. You should always look at Anna. I hope you liked her. Did you know that for about 5 years France owned Texas? If you like French, you may enjoy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zq6YPbcMyNk
    Jon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is such a cool item! I would love to play with it, as I had a r2r for a while, but you're still a little far away. I was one of those nerds in the 70s that had an Akai 8 track recorder! They were challenging, because if you made a mistake, or if the record skipped, you had to wind the entire tape through and start over. But then cassette tapes and Dolby noise reduction came along, and the 8 track became history. Was a fun ride while it lasted. (still got my Thorens turntable and vinyl though)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin