Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,764   Posts: 1,516,275   Online: 1141

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

WTB: Older epson printer

Hi all! I'm looking to buy an epson r1800 or r2400 or maybe even an 2200 if it's in good shape for under $200 shipped. I'd especially love to find one with a CIS. Thought I would check here in case anyone is upgrading

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I thought I would pass along some information in case you are not aware. I have a nine + year old 2200 that is not for sale but recently while printing a notice came up that immediate servicing was needed although it was printing perfectly. I checked on the Epson website and was advised that repairs could be expensive and to consider buying a new printer. Further research indicated that most likely the ink pads were full and replacement by me (who is not familiar with printer repair) is ill advised. I found a local Epson technician who made the necessary repairs for $160 including the $90 pads and he reset the counter to zero. He told me that the printer keeps track of each job and assigns a number of points. When it reaches a predetermined number the notice comes up and after exceeding that number by a reasonable amount it will shut down and not print. It works like brand new now. So getting an older well used printer could be close to that magic number.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thank you, Jeffrey! That is good to know! I actually have a 2200 but it has been poorly stored for many years and I don't want to invest in the CIS system for it because I'm concerned that it might not work and it is getting harder to find 2200 printers now, so replacing it would be tough. I figure, being slightly newer, the r2400 would be a better bet, as I should be able to replace one if I need to, without wasting the CIS investment. That 2200 was a beautiful printer, though. I'm still teetering about that decision. *sigh*

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Pity you are not nearer, I have just bought an Epson 4880 Pro as an upgrade to my R2880. I suspect one or the other will be pressed into use with Cone Piezo Inks.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Pipyr - where are you located? I have an older, very lightly used 2200 that I'm NOT using now and would be happy to send it off to you if the shipping costs did not completely consume your budget.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have you done the calculations on what it costs to print with those printers compared to printing online with places like MPix where you can get a 16x20 for 15$ or so. Not to discourage you from printing your own but for me it's cheaper and easier to just order prints.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I played with CIS systems for a few years. With Epson 1160, 870, 2200 and 1400 printers. Still have a number of bottles of ebony ink frim MIS and syringes and cartridges, etc. Such a PIA. But I stuck with it for many years and through 4 printers. Got some decent results but not always. Gave up after that last clog when I really needed the printer to work and the clog just kept coming back and ruined so much paper. No more. Love my 3880 now and will not go back.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by illumiquest View Post
    Have you done the calculations on what it costs to print with those printers compared to printing online with places like MPix where you can get a 16x20 for 15$ or so. Not to discourage you from printing your own but for me it's cheaper and easier to just order prints.
    That depends on what she wants it for. If it's for making negatives for alt-process, then you pretty much have to do that in-house regardless of cost. If it's for printing happy snaps to give to the relatives, then any online print service will be much cheaper and faster (and more accurate until you get the hang of printing).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks to everyone for the info and discussion! I'm wanting to use it for both digital negatives for alt processes and some reproductions of my hand-colored works. I actually work part-time in a print lab, and while I can match my prints quite well to my original images, the reproductions just don't have the same feel on luster paper. I used my 2200 for making prints of my encaustic and glass art on matte paper, and the images were exquisite. They glowed almost like the original piece. When I make prints, I want them to be like that I do use my print lab for client prints, and online places for enlargements over what we can do. They definitely have their place!!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipyr View Post
    Thanks to everyone for the info and discussion! I'm wanting to use it for both digital negatives for alt processes and some reproductions of my hand-colored works. I actually work part-time in a print lab, and while I can match my prints quite well to my original images, the reproductions just don't have the same feel on luster paper. I used my 2200 for making prints of my encaustic and glass art on matte paper, and the images were exquisite. They glowed almost like the original piece. When I make prints, I want them to be like that I do use my print lab for client prints, and online places for enlargements over what we can do. They definitely have their place!!
    Pip,

Where are you located? I seriously have not one but TWO 2200 sitting in my basement right now. Let me know if I can help.

Side note: My 2400 is loaded with MIS Eboni which, when done properly, makes some of the most beautiful prints you'll ever see.
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin