Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,291   Posts: 1,535,434   Online: 797

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Vietnam war photos?

I have inherited hundreds of my uncle's work from the war.

There are many prints and slides of all manner, including, vehicles, helicopters, indigenous people, landmarks, terrain, even some of a gruesome nature.

I have no idea what to do with them. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    manwithcameras

Shooter
    35mm
    A university history section, museum or picture archive ? Perhaps the relevant office of the Armed Forces might give you some guidance ? Or a commercial picture library ?

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Give them to a historic picture archive.

Shooter
    35mm
    You probably already know not to throw them away :-)
    I found some WWII images when we cleaned out my father in law's house. I scanned them (easier to show folks what you've got), cataloged them and found several people interested in various images. Ask around, do some research, I'm almost positive there's a "Vietnam Photo History Site" somewhere at some university.

Good luck!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    http://www.vietnam.ttu.edu/ Texas Tech University has a collection of this sort of material and would be an excellent place to place these photographs. I have a box full of slides and B&W negatives from 1968 that will end up there. I do plan to go back and review/print some of them one day. Maybe on the 50th anniversary of my tour.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It would be nice if you could identify his unit or units involved. Most of them have web sites.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    You could scan them and upload to an online library to give it to the community. Or send them to me and I will do that

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Your local university has, very likely, a special collections department that would kill, just kill, for this sort of collection, especially if you take the time to tell them your dad's story about where he was, what he did and why he took the pictures.

Our university here in Ogden, Utah, has several such collections from worlds war i and 2, and would love to have more. They are a part of local history and need to be preserved. Congratulations on finding such a treasure.

Shooter
    35mm
    I am in the process of replacing my scanner with a new Epson Photo scanner (Either the 700 or 750) and would also offer to scan them for you. Either way, if and when you do get them scanned please keep us informed and hopefully you will be able to post/upload them to a photo sharing site or web page you create for them. It would be great to be able to view and share them.
    WJS/wi/usa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would be interested in having them scanned. If your location is accurate we are probably close to one another.

I am not exaggerating though in that there are hundreds of prints and slides.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin