Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,907   Posts: 1,555,872   Online: 949

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snapguy View Post
    And so a 1,000 year old camera would have no value? The original Leica is a lot older. I suppose a fine copy of one is trash bin stuff, using the same "logic."
    Big difference between film cameras and digital.

Film cameras, particularly those without electronics, are eternal.

I'm pleased that these D1's found a home, and I hope the new owner gets lots of use and enjoyment from them, but as a general matter, digital cameras are disposable.
    I shoot digital when I have to (most of those shots end up here) and film (occasionally one of those shots ends up here) when I want to.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    digital cameras are disposable.

Very true.. Again, the depreciaition on digi camera's is staggering. They are so exspensive on the front end.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Unless you print 40"X60" 6MP (D1X) is fine. And it's in a weather resistant body with a electronic shutter that routinely goes half a million clicks before needing attention. For a pittance you have a durable body that produces great images for the next 5-10 years easy. Us old film shooters don't bang away at cameras like the young ones so if ya pay attention a deal can be had for that "disposable" camera. If you haven't used one they handle an awful lot like my Nikon F5. And then there's that legacy glass thing Nikon does.

This is a 70% crop 4MP shot from a Nikon P&S digi. Resolution is a selling point for most people. They have a far more useful life if you fon't get caught up in the minutia of electronic wizardry.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	budds'05.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	734.9 KB 
ID:	86736

Sorry but it's an issue with me that they are disposable. They're not unless you need to keep up with the Joneses.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The problem is, digital is even more dependent on the presence of an "industrial infrastructure" than film. Sure, the camera itself may still work after 15 or 25 years...but that's assuming you can still get batteries (D1's use complete obsolete NiMH units) and memory cards (C41 film will almost certainly be available long after CF cards are all but unobtainable) for it, and that the computers in 15 or 25 years will still run the software needed to process the images, etc. Not to mention the inherent fragility associated with the complexity of these sorts of cameras. Older Nikons are susceptible to developing a fault where they are simply not able to read the memory cards. If you don't mind doing some semi-major surgery, that can be corrected, but how long will spares be available?

There are already all manner of early digital cameras that are effectively technological orphans.
    I shoot digital when I have to (most of those shots end up here) and film (occasionally one of those shots ends up here) when I want to.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    And then there's Polaroid..............

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just hope that someone keeps making film for us.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Disposable???? JFC.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin