Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,840   Online: 1143

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

FS: Rare Nikon / Kodak Hawkeye II digital body and winder

Ok…here's the deal. I'm more of a user than a collector, so I'd like to see this find a good home.

Kodak Hawkeye II body and winder. This is a Nikon F3HP that was modified by Kodak to fit a 1.3mp digital back. It's actually the predecessor to the acclaimed DCS line of cameras. As such it was manufactured in approximately 1989 in extremely low numbers ( probably about 50-100). Most of these were for the military and government agencies, and were used and abused.

This one is in overall nice shape, and appears to function fine, although I can't power it up b/c it doesn't have the DSU (digital storage unit). I've attached photos, which show condition and elements of it's hand-built construction (the winder is a single piece of aluminum, and the focusing screen was marked out with a sharpie to show the area that the sensor actually covered).

Right now I'm just looking for offers, since I really have no idea how much this rare piece of history is worth. Please feel free to contact me, or to send me information on anyone who might be interested in this rare digital body.

Shooter
    35mm
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1-5.JPG 
Views:	103 
Size:	708.4 KB 
ID:	92429

Name:	photo 4-3.JPG 
Views:	89 
Size:	826.3 KB 
ID:	92430

Name:	photo 5.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	680.6 KB 
ID:	92431

Name:	photo 3-5.JPG 
Views:	93 
Size:	675.6 KB 
ID:	92432

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, you could always ask Roger over at lensrentals.com if he wants another piece of history.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

f/64 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's a cool link...
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I once took apart a DCS420 (as shown in the link). It was interesting how much of the insides had little notes, rough cuts and marks. I looked like there were made one by one trying to fit everything inside the case by hand.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by bjsmith7474 View Post
    send me information on anyone who might be interested in this rare digital body.
    Since it's only part of the system, I doubt it's worth much. The George Eastman House already has one, but if you'd consider making them a gift, you could take a tax deduction.

See here for some interesting information on the subject. http://eocamera.jemcgarvey.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Pixel,

It's worth quite a bit. It's one of 50-100 made. The one after this, the DCS 100 has sold for over $1,000 for the body only. The Hawkeye II had a production that was 1/10th that of the DCS 100.

And yes, I know the GEH has one. I contacted them, and with their assistance and Mr. McGarvey's I authenticated it.

Shooter
    35mm
    I guess things are worth what people are willing to pay for it. I worked on the original DCS at Kodak. In the past, there was some interest in purchasing a DCS system for patent litigation issues that I worked on and that may have driven the $1000 price.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    if you think it is a real rarity you could contact an auction house that specializes in photographic junque and see what they say. With the right promotion and publicity you could possibly drive interest/price. If you just put it on eBay you'd get bupkis.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Its only worth what someone is willing to pay.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin