Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,226   Posts: 1,532,680   Online: 844

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

WTT or B 8x10 wooden back

I need a standard 8x10 back (wood) with which to modify my Rochester Universal camera. The original back is for holders that are 9/16" wider than modern holders and which have no ridge to lock them in place. The camera is 11 and 15/16 inches square with a 3/8" rabbet on each side.

I can easily modify anything close to those dimensions, and condition (glass, etc.) is not an issue. Cheap trumps nice every time! I might even be able to use a metal back, if I could mount it on a frame. I have lots of stuff for trading purposes. What do you need? I can even come up with cash if I have to, though I am notoriously... frugal.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Get up with David Vickers. He has gone and got himself a milling machine and is starting to make them. At least one for his own homemade 8x10. He might be able to hook you up
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Whitey,
    How about a back from a 2D? I don't have it handy to measure it , but I can tomorrow if you're interested in trading for something.
    Chris

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have a Raja 8x10 back from an 8x10 field camera I converted into an enlarger. Wooden with ground glass and spring metal. I don't know what it is worth.
    Dennis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks, ChrisW, Chris and Dennis! I am definitely interested in the 2D trade and maybe the Rajah if that doesn't work out. Can either of you measure what you have and PM me with the size (and other particulars, like what you might want for it...) I have lots of old camera gear like an old Speed for parts (spring back, no shutter at all, it's been scavenged,) a 2x3 knock-off press camera, two 9x12 and a 6x9 plate cameras and assorted others. I also have the folding track (not the extension track, but the one hinged on the end, that folds up in front of the lens on an 8x10 2D, if that is any use to you, Chris, and the odd barrel lens or two sitting around that might interest someone. I may be able to come up with whatever you're looking for - even cash, Dennis, if you can put a price on it. Oh, and I have more than a dozen Duaflex and Ansco tlr's. (yes, I am a junk collector...)

The custom made version is undoubtedly beyond my financial means right now, ChrisW. I could possibly build my own but, in addition to being cheap, I'm kinda lazy.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I understand, sympathize and exist in a similar state.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm taking DPurdy up on his offer (one I couldn't refuse!) Thanks, folks. I'll post an image of the resulting frankencamera.
    W

Shooter
    Multi Format
    pm sent

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Whitey still needs an 8x10 back.
    I was hoping to trade for a lens, but swapping a lens with him would add redundancy in my kit.
    Does anyone else have a back that fits his needs?

Chris

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Whitey,

Couldn't you just glue a couple strips to the edges of a smaller modern holder and route a groove in your back to mate them? Or maybe make some sort of slip-on baffle/shade in lieu of a rib lock after sanding down the rib of the holder? The latter would leave the original camera intact.

Joe

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin