Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,732   Posts: 1,515,281   Online: 840

Shooter
    Multi Format

Overseas Purchase Planning

I am considering purchasing a used camera from shop in Wales--that would be Wales to the U.S.

I really do not know what to expect in the way of taxes, shipping arrangements, customs fees, etc. Does anybody have any experience?

Royal Mail vs Parcel Service like UPS? How about their fees for maybe an inspection? VAT? U.S. Customs fees and where are they collected, how much, and cash/check/credit card, etc.

Help is appreciated. Thanks.
    Geo.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    They shouldn't charge VAT on a camera shipped to the US. UPS can charge brokerage fees for customs, so I'd avoid it. I've used regular mail for purchases from various European countries without difficulty. Once I sprang for DHL for an expensive camera from Slovenia, because it would have taken longer than I was comfortable with by regular airmail, and the cost of the shipping wasn't outrageous considering the cost of the camera, and I wanted reliable tracking. DHL is pretty widely available in Europe and many countries throughout the world. You can also get global FedEx.

I've made many international purchases, but mostly for used equipment, and I don't think I've ever been charged a customs fee. For a new camera coming directly from the country of origin, or from a manufacturer with a very aggressive US representative who wants to prevent third-country transactions, it is probably more likely that you will have to pay customs.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know if they are part of the Royal mail, but some of the bicycle stuff I buy from Ireland is shipped via Parcel Force (parcelforce.com). On this side of the pond it goes into U.S. Priority or Express mail. Works well and is pretty fast. on the east coast stuff arrives in a week or less usually, often faster than UPS ground from California.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks guys, that's just the sort of thing that I wanted to know.
    Geo.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    Once I sprang for DHL for an expensive camera from Slovenia, because it would have taken longer than I was comfortable with by regular airmail, and the cost of the shipping wasn't outrageous considering the cost of the camera
    I have posted a few things (35mm SLR bodies mainly) to the US, Canada, France and Turkey recently and was surprised to find that often, air mail is cheaper than surface mail.

Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    Royal mail insured, you won't be taxed unless it's something very expensive (at least $1000). There are no VAT taxes on exports.

Tel
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ditto David's thoughts: I've bought literally tons of mopics gear from Europe and had it shipped by the postal services and never ever had customs fees charged. The one time I shipped internationally via UPS was a nightmare--avoid them like the plague and you'll be OK. Postal service from the UK usually takes about a week.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin