Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,676   Posts: 1,481,952   Online: 1060

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101115 ... LastLast

If there is space I would be interested as I do quite a bit of lith
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    I am interested but I usually do everything on FB and mount and matt and would feel cheated if I received a loose RC or FB print as I put a lot of effort into my work.

rst
    Shooter
    Pinhole
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kjsphoto View Post
    I am interested but I usually do everything on FB and mount and matt and would feel cheated if I received a loose RC or FB print as I put a lot of effort into my work.
    OK Kevin, I can understand your point. In my first print exchange I felt like a cheater because the others sent way better images than I did. In my second print exchange I felt like a cheater because I sent RC and got FB and platinum back. Now I wonder how I will feel in the current round. So for the Lith Print Exchange, if we end up in the same group, I promise to mount and matt the image I send to you. But who knows if you will like the image I am going to send, you may feel cheated.

ciao
    -- Ruediger

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I can understand your point too Kevin. I have only sent fibre prints for exchanges. They are toned and spotted, titled, signed and dated on the reverse. They are my best work.

I don't mount or matt the prints as I find that the mounts do not survive the post that well. The few mounted and matted prints that I have received over the years have all been damaged in some way. Obviously you can really go to town with the packaging to prevent this, but this will increase the postal costs enormously. I think that if we forced everyone to mount and matt then the price would be too exorbitant for many people, especially with international postage rates. I leave it up to the recipient to mount and matt the print if they wish.

Part of the enjoyment I receive from the print exchanges is in making and the giving of my best attempt. Obviously, it is disappointing if you receive a piece of work back which isn't up to your own standards -- it's even worse when nothing arrives.

I hope this doesn't put you off (or anyone else) participating!

Cheers

Mike

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    My experience is the same - mounts and matts don't survive international mail. I've received one which should have survived, as it was packed between two sheets of plywood. But somehow someone had managed to drive a nail through it! :o

I prefer to receive unmounted prints. Then at least the print has a fair chance of arriving undamaged.

Most of my prints are toned, but this is not so for lith prints. The colour variations in an untoned lith print are very different to what they are after toning, and sometimes I wish to retain the original colours. Any toning that is strong enough to make a difference in archivality is strong enough to change the tone, too.

I will use FB paper this time, though: Of the two "lithy" RC papers I have, one is way too glossy, and the other one is the same emulsion in the FB version.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Me too!
    Be careful his bow tie is really a camera
    timeUnit

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I too prefer to send and receive unmounted/unmatted prints. In addition to the shipping issue, it makes storage easier, too.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'd like to participate - really beginning to like lith printing - although a bit nervous about sending work out... would love to send overseas....rate me beginner - intermediate. ..

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I would rather not have to mount and matt the print as it does cost more and it is usually to no avail as the matt is usually damaged. I have been in several exchanges and sometimes received prints that took my breath away and other times they made me shake my head with dismay. But I never felt cheated. It all works out in the end. I have sometimes not gotten what I wanted at Christmas too but that is the nature of gift exchanges which is what this really is.
    Prints available in the APUG GAllery
    www.gaylarsonphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Can I still jump in here?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin