Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,727   Posts: 1,515,173   Online: 968

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111216 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree with Kevin and had bowed out prior to his post.

There really should be standards set for these exchanges. When there is, I'd love to participate.

Best,

Matt
    Matt's Photo Site
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover". Auguste Rodin

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    I completely agree. I would of love to have joined but until standards are set forth I am also not going to join this time around.

rst
    Shooter
    Pinhole
    Images
    Kevin and Matt,

I think standards are already set, even if not written down. I assume that the standard is to send the best you can do unmatted and unmounted RC or FB print. In addition to that, participants are allowed to do more. That is how I understand the print exchange. If you set the standards too high, only a few will participate because for most of us your standards may be not reachable. It is a difference if you can mount and matt a print yourself or if you have to pay for it.

Regards
    -- Ruediger

rst
    Shooter
    Pinhole
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rst
    I also do not mind sending international. Otherwise I would end up in a one person only group
    Same here, Ruediger!
    So once we found a Norwegian/German print exchange putting together the groups will be very easy. I offer to organize this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    I'll put myself a notch above beginner, since I've managed to make some lith prints that I actually like - and my wife likes them, too!
    OK, same here Ole.

ciao
    -- Ruediger

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    I think you might be missing the point or maybe it is just me, in any case my take on it is this, some of us sell our work as a living and our standards are high but definitely not untouchable as I / we take a lot of pride in every photograph we create. With any photograph I send out in the world if it be for a trade with another photographer of for sale, I always Spot, Mat, mount, number, sign each and every photograph as I only what my best efforts to be seen. I always do it to the highest quality that I am capable of providing.

I do not think these standards are to high at all. If I send a photograph I would expect one of the same quality coming back. I realize that many do this as a hobby and that is wonderful, but if I am going to spend 10-12 hours on a photograph and in return receive one that is not like quality I would be bummed, not upset but I guess more disappointed you could say.

Again just my two cents and they are not worth much anyway...

And please this post in on way was to create a flame war. I am just giving some thoughts on the subject.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Kevin, I understand your viewpoint very well.

I don't think anyone has intended to send anything but the best they are capable of!

Yet my experience with print exchanges are that mounted prints very rarely arrive undamaged, while unmounted prints are almost always fine.

I don't mount myself; there's a nearby framer who does far superior work to anything I could do without making a huge investment in time, effort and equipment. So any print I receive that's going up on the wall will be professionally mounted, matted and framed.

I prefer to sign the front of the print, outside the image area, and leave it up to the recipient whether to matt it with the signature hidden or visible, or not matt it at all.

I feel the requirement for a print to be matted and mounted to be considered "finished" is a particular USAmerican issue? It never crossed my mind until I read "the Print" that "unmounted" could be equated with "unfinished".

Just my two °re - a worthless coin that was removed from circulation several years ago.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I assume that it goes without saying that people will do their best.

I would hate for my 'best' though, as an absolute beginner, to be a crushing disappointment to someone, though. So I'll be more than happy to bow out if the concensus is there should be some minimum level of ability to participate, if that's what is needed to get more of our artisans to join in.
    Last edited by tim_walls; 08-31-2007 at 05:12 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Clarification of thought

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tim_walls View Post
    I assume that it goes without saying that people will do their best.

I would hate for my 'best' though, as an absolute beginner, to be a crushing disappointment to someone, though. So I'll be more than happy to bow out if the concensus is there should be some minimum level of ability to participate, if that's what is needed to get more of our artisans to join in.
    I can also bow out. If it were a standard exchange, I'd have no worries. I was using this as a reason to try lith printing so maybe I should bow out. Please take me off the list as I don't want to be starting something new where people are expecting a bit more.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I think it'd be a mistake for a beginner to bow out just because two people want higher standards than the rest. There's more to a print exchange than just getting a nice print from someone. I view it as a way to learn. It's way to see how people that are more experienced are doing things. I never really knew what a "really nice print" looked like until I participated in an exchange and got to see one in person. It forced me to work harder on my printing skills because I could see that my prints were lacking a little. It also gave me ideas on how to do things differently.

Mark and Tim, I'd encourage you guys to participate no matter what level you are. Like I said, a print exchange is more than just getting a good print from someone. I'd be perfectly happy if both of you guys were in my group.
    Last edited by Travis Nunn; 08-31-2007 at 07:26 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To my mind these exchanges are about sharing our love for what most of us do for fun. We have no idea of what someone had in mind when they created an image, just as we have no idea what someone else may see in one we ourselves create. Just join in and send what ever you're happiest with.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin