Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,636   Online: 1157

Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks like they are seeking a graceful end, at least that's what my national media is saying.
    Wall street journal also has an article on the matter: (No idea if this links works, but here you go).

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...EFTTopWhatNews
    -
    "Nice picture, you must have an amazing camera."
    Visit my photography blog at: http://helino-photo.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    They took my Kodachrome away, but they BETTER NOT try to take away my Tri-X. I hope they sell the formula to Ilford or something.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by EASmithV View Post
    They took my Kodachrome away, but they BETTER NOT try to take away my Tri-X. I hope they sell the formula to Ilford or something.
    Would Ilford want to take on making other B&W films which would likely only take sales from their own existing and similar product range? I've not seen any rush by other companies to pick up Pan-X, Plus-X, and all the other discontinued Kodak products.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post
    Would Ilford want to take on making other B&W films which would likely only take sales from their own existing and similar product range? I've not seen any rush by other companies to pick up Pan-X, Plus-X, and all the other discontinued Kodak products.
    If they would gain the tri-x customers along their existing customers I don't think they would complain. I hope Kodak will survive or find a good buyer for their film division. We'll see. There is always still Fuji, Ilford, Fome, Shanghai and so on. I think for us the magic word will be adaptation for the coming years.
    Reality is whatever stays when you stop believing in it.
    allthingsanalogue.weebly.com
    darkroomninja.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One word - Ilford. They went to the brink and were pulled back and streamlined. I believe the same will happen to Kodak.

Mike

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter de Groot View Post
    If they would gain the tri-x customers along their existing customers I don't think they would complain. I hope Kodak will survive or find a good buyer for their film division. We'll see. There is always still Fuji, Ilford, Fome, Shanghai and so on. I think for us the magic word will be adaptation for the coming years.
    I agree...but Ilford might gain the Tri-X customers anyway with no extra effort, if HP4+ proves to be the best alternative to adapt to. Fuji remains, perhaps, the only other quality option (no offence to the smaller makers, who manufacture interesting and useful products, but, for total reliability and QC, Fuji and Ilford seem to enjoy the best reputations).
    Maybe the best we can hope for is a good buyer for the film division, who could use the Kodak branding to support a niche debt-free project on a small but sound financial basis.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is a very similar situation to Ilford....just on a rather larger scale!

However the principles are the same - Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection is very like "Administration" in the UK - it allows the business to re-organise and re-focus whilst disposing of debt.

But, there is no confirmation yet as to whether this is going to happen and seems dependent on the patent sale.

The best scenario for anyone interested in traditional products might well be bankruptcy protection because this could allow for the traditional manufacturing side of the business to be sold and developed.

After Ilford emerged from Administration they just focused on what they do best, which is make B&W products. The story of the whole administration and the buying of the company is an incredible story, if ever you hear it from those who rescued the company - they should write it down one day. (...and we went into the office that had been occupied by the administrators and said "we want to buy the business" and they laughed at us..... - gripping stuff.)

I'm sure people will come out of the woodwork to buy the component parts of Kodak should it come to it.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The sooner Kodak's admistration is taken away from the conrol of the current board of directors and the CEO in particular the better the chances for the survival of the coating division which is still profitable. Then the directors should be investigated for lining their own pockets.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Then the directors should be investigated for lining their own pockets.
    Get real. I know you said "should" be investigated. But it won't happen.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    if you speak with anyone in the photofinishing industry
    who runs a mini lab &c ... you will realize kodak has been on thin ice
    for a long long time ...

i agree ian, but unfortunately, we don't live in a perfekt whirled.

Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin