Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,729   Online: 856

Page 20 of 45 FirstFirst ... 101415161718192021222324252630 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post

I don't want to dwell on this. Everyone use what they want. But I had to take issue with the post that held these companies up as examples of how things could or should be done when it comes to both the R&D and production of film.
    I mentioned the new production of the Agfa APX films and you wrote an answer about efke films and many rebranded films, although there is only one Agfa APX rebranded film in the world (Rollei Retro, which nothing has to do with Adox). I mentioned that you need small scale production like Fotokemika now or Adox in the future, and you answered something about bad experiences with a film, which still isn't in production. You do not like efke films from Croatia and because of that the new APX films from Germany will be bad films. So people may ask if you are know what you are writing about.

Thomas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristophanes View Post
    It's nice to hear the Kodak has coating systems that may scale. Will the demand in the market? That's the key question.
    Certainly the consumption demand will scale. We have been watching it scale for 25 years. The question is whether the two ratios are close enough to allow production to continue with Kodak's current equipment. I, nor likely does anyone here, know their smallest run sizes. PE probably did when he was employed, but it is probably different now. (And we hope smaller.)

But I think a "commercial" market would exist even at extremely small sizes as a boutique model. Roll film will sell next to riding crops and powder horns.

MB
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post
    (The other part of Agfa, in Belgium, still coats film, but, not, I believe, consumer product).
    Oh yes, AGFA Belgium is selling as Rollei film called color neg RCN 640 and CN200 and E6 is called CR200.
    I love these films because it's a whole other color pallet compared to the Fuji green high sat look.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

today

I worked on these pretty 5 ones today instead of joining in the bad news thread mill...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails _DSC3254.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I felt sad when I first heard the news. The existence of tri-x, portra, ektar, tmax, hc-110 might be ending. After 2 days of my wife asking if my best pal died, I realised that there's still ilford, fujifilm and a whole slew of small companies that might pop up to take up the slack in the event that kodak goes.

Time to adapt, learn to love another film, chemicals and pray that I didn't just waste money on purchasing another camera and lenses. All I want to do now is burn some film, forget this depressing news.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    It's simple..go buy and use up some film. Kodak is going out of business because they are only selling a tiny fraction of the film they used to sell. Also consider that, at peak production, they had the abilty to coat hundreds of millions of square yards of product..divide that up in rolls of 35mm film..it's an astounding number..EC

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by rhmimac View Post
    Oh yes, AGFA Belgium is selling as Rollei film called color neg RCN 640 and CN200 and E6 is called CR200.
    I love these films because it's a whole other color pallet compared to the Fuji green high sat look.
    I completely forgot those! (And I made a note to order some only last week, looking forward to seeing the color pallet...)
    Are the master rolls of these coated primarilly as an aerial film, or similar, and the packaging for consumer use a separate project by Rollei, or am I totally confused?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post
    I completely forgot those! (And I made a note to order some only last week, looking forward to seeing the color pallet...)
    Are the master rolls of these coated primarilly as an aerial film, or similar, and the packaging for consumer use a separate project by Rollei, or am I totally confused?
    You are right. Those films are aerial films, which are packed and rebranded by Maco (->Rollei). Maco (Rollei) does not produce own films, they are Agfa Gaevert Aerial films, (except Rollei Retro 100 and 400, which is original Agfa APX and Rollei RPX, which is Harman/Kentmere)

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristophanes View Post
    (Kodak moment).
    Open me first!

s-a

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am not optimistic about Kodak's future but there are a few bright notes for those who care about Kodak still making film.

First with a bankruptcy many of the legacy costs like pension plan and medical coverage for retired employees will disappear. Very sad for those people. But a real advantage for any business.

Second Kodak used to, from what I have been told, have individual buildings and coating lines dedicated to a specific film product. This meant that they were paying for a lot of overhead and required a lot of film sales to justify it. A few years back, Kodak built a new facility with a coating line that can easily change depending on what they need to resupply product wise. They shut down all the other lines, closed or sold the buildings and now produce all their film from one building. This means that they only need to produce a given film when inventories of that film are low. They can switch on the fly from one film to another and make just as much as they need and now have lower required minimums. This new coating line is supposedly more automated and has better quality control. It uses infrared sensors for QA, which is supposedly one of the main reasons why Kodak discontinued it's line of IR films.

Obviously one has to look at the books and see if the new direct costs of film production, overhead and administration/labor costs required just for that, and the revenues still being generated by film sales ultimately generate a net profit. If Kodak can sell the film production facility to a new company, that company would have not have the legacy costs, the overhead costs and would also have a state of the art and super efficient coating facility. They would have the debt though of having bought the division from Kodak. But the again if it's a fire sale they might get a great deal. And even if Kodak after reorganization would decide to keep making film, they would be doing so with all of those same advantages now, and NO DEBT. Any company that has an efficient production line making a top of the line product, no debt, no legacy costs and an existing client base and distribution network has a great advantage in business. But if silver is $50 an ounce, nothing may stop the hemorrhaging.

Bottom line is that you don't need to generate a lot of revenue if you have a very low overhead. And Kodak's overhead is about to get a lot lower.
    Last edited by Early Riser; 01-08-2012 at 10:08 AM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin