Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,760   Posts: 1,516,019   Online: 937

Page 22 of 45 FirstFirst ... 121617181920212223242526272832 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Fuji also gets favorable support from their government!

PE
    What, you don't think the US photo industry has been supported by the US government? Land was one of the wealthiest scientists ever.

But, true enough, if the US wanted to keep Kodak alive and give them a big boost, a big military contract would go a long way, hence my admonition a few dozen posts above.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Fuji also gets favorable support from their government!

PE
    With regards to film production, I think Fuji's government support is irrelevant now or so minimal as to be a non-factor. Fuji's been dumping film types as fast or faster than Kodak. At least Kodak openly admits to customer demand falling as the cause:

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...plusX125.jhtml

In the bigger scheme, customers left film. That's what did Kodak in. A better managed Kodak may have salvaged some heritage production system through cost-shifting from other sources of revenue grown to replaces film use collapse (as Fuji appears to do), but that is the missed opportunity business schools will study.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Government contracts are different than government support!

Think about that one a bit.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Think about that one a bit.

PE
    I think about it everyday!

It's my job.

I also don't se Fujifilm dumping its pension and medical obligations, unlike Kodak which is, conveniently for management, able to socialize the problems that will cause.

But the Japanese government is not responsible for over a billion customers walking away from film in the last 5 years.

The question is how to keep enough loyalty to the film medium to keep Portra, T-Max, Ektar, and Tri-X rolling? Fighting old battles never resolved cannot help that effort.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Actually... the differences are very, very fine when the rubber hits the road. A government contract is simply a legal vehicle that is configured to allow a govt agency to push funding directly to a company. In this way, the US government heavily subsidizes industries that are part of our military industrial complex. I know because my day job is smack-dab in the middle of that.

Let's discuss it over tea some time; I can't say more here.

Anyway... back to the point. My point was that some sign of long-term support for Kodak, of the sort granted to our auto industry or the large banks could go a long way in helping Kodak buy time to sell off IP and reorganize.

I'd be looking at Kodak's IP for photovoltaics and catalysis (thin-film battery technology), as well as the more obvious military apps.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak sold the military contracts driven work years ago to ITT and it was recently re-sold to another group. Perez did it to "concentrate on our core business"! Hmmpt!

Basically, Kodak supplied most of the best surveillance cameras for orbital use in the world, all built here in Rochester. Parts of Hubble came from Kodak. This dried up as NASA contracts and other contracts dried up making the business much smaller. And, the government would never consider Kodak for a bailout. The Japanese government would consider Fuji as they would not want to lose a world name company and line of products.

That is my point.

And yes, next time you get to Rochester, a cup of coffee!

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    No, you and the missus need to come down here! It's warmer! And we can make some stuff in the lab... get on a train and come down, I;ll raise funds to help support it!

I would like to come up too though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The old bones are too tired for a long trip Keith!

Besides, I have a workshop in April with work up front to get ready for it!!!

And, I have to finish the book this month and get it to the printer.

Thanks though.

Pe

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    PE so in short the US Gov doesn't give a fig about the US heritage and thousands of employees. And Antonio Perez had the intelligence (business sense)of Kodak's gelatine ressource.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MDR View Post
    PE so in short the US Gov doesn't give a fig about the US heritage and thousands of employees. And Antonio Perez had the intelligence (business sense)of Kodak's gelatine ressource.
    Basically, yes!

And, considering that Perez was on a Presidential committee on "creating jobs" I could extend that thinking of yours to the President. I hate to do that, but that is what it looks like from my POV.

PE

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin