Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,682   Posts: 1,482,205   Online: 1056

Page 23 of 45 FirstFirst ... 131718192021222324252627282933 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yes, there seems to be zero initiative in DC to create real jobs. Our current batch of politicians are just sitting back, waiting for the nondurables consumer economy to improve with consumer confidence. Their implied message: if you think the job market is bad, blame yourself for not feeling confident enough to put more on plastic. Meanwhile, we're just pissing away manufacturing capacity and technical talent. Don't get me started
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    Yes, there seems to be zero initiative in DC to create real jobs. Our current batch of politicians are just sitting back, waiting for the nondurables consumer economy to improve with consumer confidence. Their implied message: if you think the job market is bad, blame yourself for not feeling confident enough to put more on plastic. Meanwhile, we're just pissing away manufacturing capacity and technical talent. Don't get me started
    DC only creates jobs for lobbyists, federal workers and the like. What the government needs to do is figure out a better way to transition the surplus workers created by "creative destruction" into their next job. Create a set of policies that help those out of work and incentives to corporations to increase hiring.

But, they would rather spew nonsense about "greedy CEOs" on one side, and blather about "job creators" on the other.

Now maybe if the unemployed had better lobbyists, they'd get heard in DC. Until then, you're on your own...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    There are many ways our leadership could create incentives for the private sector to hire. It's just not being done. And from my perspective, a lot of the trouble derives from the inability of our leadership to lift the cloud of uncertainty with regard to big economic issues like the debt ceiling, payroll taxes and healthcare mandates. The current fiscal approach is very much focused on bringing the housing market back online, with the belief that once that stabilizes, consumer confidence will go back up.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    There are many ways our leadership could create incentives for the private sector to hire. It's just not being done. And from my perspective, a lot of the trouble derives from the inability of our leadership to lift the cloud of uncertainty with regard to big economic issues like the debt ceiling, payroll taxes and healthcare mandates. The current fiscal approach is very much focused on bringing the housing market back online, with the belief that once that stabilizes, consumer confidence will go back up.
    True, but consider this. As the boomers retire, just who is going to buy up all of their houses? There aren't enough Gen X or Gen Y out there to snap them all up quickly, and the housing market will likely take years to work off the current glut.

And, and get somewhat back on topic, imagine what will likely happen in Rochester when a large number of Kodak employees get laid off during the resructuring or liquidation of the film business, and some of them eventually default on THEIR house loans.

It is going to get worse before it gets better.

I'd like to see Tri-X survive, but I could live with Ilford products if there was no longer a Kodak product I have used over the years.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Patterson View Post
    And, and get somewhat back on topic, imagine what will likely happen in Rochester when a large number of Kodak employees get laid off during the resructuring or liquidation of the film business, and some of them eventually default on THEIR house loans.
    Which is why I think leadership in NY might (or should) take interest and try to steer some relief toward Kodak.

Kodak is a very important American brand... I doubt very seriously that it will go away completely. The question is how long and painful the reorg will be. With appropriate Federal assistance, it could be quick and (mostly) painless. Now, I am a card-carrying, free-market Libertarian, but even I think that at some point we have to think at the level of survival.... survival of American jobs and intellectual property. I see a generational crisis in American sci & tech, and it's high time that someone in DC paid attention.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There was a thread a while back in which PE indicated he could make Tri-X

My concern is for TMX and TMY-2, which are substantially different than Ilford's Delta films for small format work.

But as I said earlier my real concern is for the employees, and the loss of a very important American scientific institution.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    But as I said earlier my real concern is for the employees, and the loss of a very important American scientific institution.
    Yes, it's a shame. Another part of our loss of scientific, engineering, and manufacturing capabilities. Sad and scary.

... and this is happening in other venues also. Did you hear that one of the two American Hot Pocket manufacturing facilities is laying off 100 workers? Sales are down. Potentially the demise of a very important American culinary institution.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hmm first, instant film, and now instant food... a harrowing trend....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    There was a thread a while back in which PE indicated he could make Tri-X

My concern is for TMX and TMY-2, which are substantially different than Ilford's Delta films for small format work.

I cannot make those films.

I can make an emulsion close to what is in those films, but sensitizing them properly is beyond my reach. See the thread I started on the 8th of Jan. on this very topic.

Making the emulsion is one thing. Sensitizing and coating is another!

On another topic, Keith should remember that Perez is on the President's jobs creation committee! Isn't that ironic? There must be some message in that!

PE

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    PE what it shows it that Mr. Perez would have the necessary connections to save Kodak but doesn't use them. A recent study shows that CEOs and politicians are often egoistical to the point of beeing sociopaths and often act to their companies/countries detriment because they can't accept the simple fact that they make mistakes and are not gods. What politicians seem to forget is that dreams and innovations was was made the US and some other countries great of course plundering ressources from other countries and enslaving their population helped too.

I am a non smoker never started, but as soon as I saw the demise of the Marlboro man I knew the US would go downhill the Marlboro man was to me as an european all that symbolised the US (excluding the health issue) and Kodak would be another symbol of the US if Kodak falls it's a sign for the complete downfall of the US manufacturing industry (except military). Apple and similars companies create good innovations and have them build outside the US. The US and Europe should look at their past and learn from it (Stopping wars would help the money they cost could be used to create/help to keep jobs for both soldiers, workers and simple employees)

Dominik

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin