Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,891   Online: 973

Page 29 of 45 FirstFirst ... 192324252627282930313233343539 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The US hasn't had a solid manufacturing economy for a long time; some geniuses decided that we're better off doing virtual reality work and sending real manufacturing abroad. That trend is nothing new. On the surface, the current Administration's push for "green" jobs sounds good, but when the consumer economy heads south, ventures like that dry up very quickly (solar has been decimated, and not just because of Solyndra). The "shovel ready" jobs also haven't materialized.

If you read the little Tyler Cowen book that I mentioned in my blog post, I think you'll see very quickly that the trend we're seeing started many decades ago and leads nowhere good. When you say "sci & tech" in the US today, people think you mean iPods, iPhones... but unfortunately there aren't any iJobs. And that's not going to get better.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I'm a professional buyer Keith, so know the scenario all too well. It's useless to point the finger at
    one political party or the other. Wall St has gotten out of control and there are deep personal incentives in play to take advantage of the public. Part of my own success even in the depth of the
    recession was simply to avoid distributing products of publicly-traded companies. Too much smoke and mirrors just to get a few people on top rich quick. Big corporate headhunters still try to recruit
    me, but the reason I do things well in my own tiny niche is because I believe in supplying my own
    customers with reliable things that will help them become more productive and profitable - a ridiculously old fashioned plan that still works every time. But none of these marketing monkey MBA's
    want to hear that kind of thing. Apparently neither does Kodak.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In a recent list of big sellers in goods made here in the US, the top item is military aircraft and the second is vacuum tubes. Yes, the old analog standard, vacuum tubes.

But, I have posted this before, and that is that we are a service economy here in the US (one service is actually our superb medical system if you don't mind paying for it). At the rate we are going, and with our current education system, we will be a 3rd world nation in a generation!

The whiz bang economists and business admin people are driving some of this and the poor education in hard science is driving more people into becoming economists and BA people. But, this is not the place for the long story. They even alluded to it on NBC news about 1 month ago as contributing to the big unemployment where there are a lot of BA, Accountant, and Social Workers looking for jobs and one company can't hire engineers and tool and die workers due to lack of education and math skills.

Sorry for the rant.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You will also like Cowen's book, Ron. It's exactly along these lines. The problem with so many economists is that they really don't understand the role of education, invention and entrepreneurialism in the modern technology-based economy. If a Ford or Land or Eastman tried to start a business in the US today, well... they wouldn't.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    In a recent list of big sellers in goods made here in the US, the top item is military aircraft and the second is vacuum tubes. Yes, the old analog standard, vacuum tubes.
    Just out of curiosity, since I am passionate for American industry...where is this list?
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...5QP_story.html

Ron's numbers are for 2009. Vacuum tubes have slipped to #4 now, alas That fuel is now #1 was a big story last week.

2011 (Through October)
    1 — Fuel: $73.4 billion;
    2 — Aircraft: $70.8 billion;
    3 — Motor Vehicles: $39.6 billion;
    4 — Vacuum Tubes: $37.1 billion;
    5 — Telecommunications Equipment: $33.2 billion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Major vacuum tube production stopped in the US in the mid 1980s. There is some hoax article floating around the internet indicating USA exports vacuum tubes. Current the majority of worldwide audio vacuum tube production is in Russa and China.

2005 USA vacuum tube production summary:

Richardson Electronics, LaFox, IL

Makes a 300B, 845 and 50 sold under the Cetron brand for high-end audio, as well as a KT88 sold under the National brand. Richardson has large quantities of tooling obtained from old American tube factories when they shut down. Also makes some larger transmitting and high-voltage types. Richardson markets many tubes, obtained from other factories worldwide, under their own brandnames; such as Cetron, National and Amperex.

Westrex Corporation, Kansas City, MO

Makes the reissued Western Electric 300B for high-end audio. Claims to be developing a KT88, WE308, WE274A and other old WE types for future manufacture. Corporate and sales offices are located in Atlanta and Chattanooga. Also has sales office in UK. Tube manufacturing facility was relocated from Kansas City to Huntsville, AL. This firm is independent of AT&T Corporation and has licensed the brandnames from AT&T.

MU, Oceanside, CA

Small contract factory, makes occasional runs of unusual glass and metal-ceramic tubes for military use. Still makes some of the old "Bendix Red Bank" tubes, such as the 6094 and 6384, in occasional lots.

Triton Services ETD, Gaithersburg, MD

Makes some Eimac and Litton glass power types, using equipment from the original manufacturers. Recently discontinued some glass types, such as 4-65A, 4-125A, 250TH, 304TH/TL, etc. (these types are now only available from China).
    source -- http://www.vacuumtube.com/mfg.htm
    Last edited by ic-racer; 01-11-2012 at 08:06 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not AFAIK and not according to that list.

Keith has the list posted above. It was a yahoo news item 2 or 3 days ago. It is GWTW now I guess.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I find this interesting too. I was involved in high power microwave tube production in the early 90's. It was then a very viable market and may still be today. I'd be surprised if it made #4 for exports though.

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Major vacuum tube production stopped in the US in the mid 1980s. There is some hoax article floating around the internet indicating USA exports vacuum tubes. Current the majority of worldwide audio vacuum tube production is in Russa and China.

2005 USA vacuum tube production summary:

Richardson Electronics, LaFox, IL

Makes a 300B, 845 and 50 sold under the Cetron brand for high-end audio, as well as a KT88 sold under the National brand. Richardson has large quantities of tooling obtained from old American tube factories when they shut down. Also makes some larger transmitting and high-voltage types. Richardson markets many tubes, obtained from other factories worldwide, under their own brandnames; such as Cetron, National and Amperex.

Westrex Corporation, Kansas City, MO

Makes the reissued Western Electric 300B for high-end audio. Claims to be developing a KT88, WE308, WE274A and other old WE types for future manufacture. Corporate and sales offices are located in Atlanta and Chattanooga. Also has sales office in UK. Tube manufacturing facility was relocated from Kansas City to Huntsville, AL. This firm is independent of AT&T Corporation and has licensed the brandnames from AT&T.

MU, Oceanside, CA

Small contract factory, makes occasional runs of unusual glass and metal-ceramic tubes for military use. Still makes some of the old "Bendix Red Bank" tubes, such as the 6094 and 6384, in occasional lots.

Triton Services ETD, Gaithersburg, MD

Makes some Eimac and Litton glass power types, using equipment from the original manufacturers. Recently discontinued some glass types, such as 4-65A, 4-125A, 250TH, 304TH/TL, etc. (these types are now only available from China).
    source -- http://www.vacuumtube.com/mfg.htm
    Jonathan
    -----------------------------------------------

Shooter
    Large Format
    At the rate we are going, and with our current education system, we will be a 3rd world nation in a generation!

Sorry for the rant.
    If you lived in Eastern Kentucky, you might think we're already a 3rd world country. And despite our generally excellent medical system, we still have a higher rate of infant mortality than some of the "real" 3rd world countries.

Rant away, PE. You've earned it.

Ed
    "I only wanted Uncle Vern standing by his new car (a Hudson) on a clear day. I got him and the car. I also got a bit of Aunt Mary's laundry, and Beau Jack, the dog, peeing on a fence, and a row of potted tuberous begonias on the porch and 78 trees and a million pebbles in the driveway and more. It's a generous medium, photography." -- Lee Friedlander

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin