Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,273   Posts: 1,534,585   Online: 1042
      
Page 32 of 45 FirstFirst ... 222627282930313233343536373842 ... LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 450
  1. #311
    Hatchetman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    593
    Images
    6
    So Aristophanes, do you have a record of these write-downs we can analyze? I see they wrote-down $627MM in goodwill (imaginary money) early this year. What else have they done in the past five years or so.

  2. #312
    Photo Engineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    22,972
    Images
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristophanes View Post
    With all due respect PE, there are no "film profits" at EK. That division has lost money every Q for almost a decade now. When the losses narrow, it is because of asset sales, which are then patriated to the mothership to fund areas of potential growth. That growth is not in analog for the same reason there are almost no film cameras still in manufacture on an industrial scale. The legacy costs of film manufacturing are still evident in the pensions (deferred earnings).

    No matter how one measures it, the balance sheets show continuous declining revenues with liabilities still exceeding assets. Even if all non vested pension/medical obligations are wiped by Ch. 11, EK film still bleeds red ink. It's hard to operate and amortize a major industrial system part-time.
    The fact that the film dividsion has made a profit, and the fact that the profit has been rolled over to digital has been discussed ad nauseum on APUG in several threads with references to the WST and to Kodak annual reports.

    In fact, Kodak has shored up their bottom line via these profits. I don't feel that I need to justify my comments in any way due to the widespread knowledge of this very fact.

    PE

  3. #313

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    5,028
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post


    The fact that the film dividsion has made a profit, and the fact that the profit has been rolled over to digital has been discussed ad nauseum on APUG in several threads with references to the WST and to Kodak annual reports.
    I seem to recall seeing that in their annual report.

  4. #314
    Aristophanes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    505
    Images
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
    So Aristophanes, do you have a record of these write-downs we can analyze? I see they wrote-down $627MM in goodwill (imaginary money) early this year. What else have they done in the past five years or so.
    Not imaginary.

    Borrowed.

    Hardly goodwill when issued as secure debt. More going out than coming in.

    http://investor.kodak.com/phoenix.zh...-reportsannual

  5. #315

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    186
    So does anyone know of a good equivalent in Fuji (or something else, I suppose) to Kodak's Ektar? I would miss Tri-X and a few other films, but I can find something similar/better in Fuji or Ilford. But not Ektar, which is my go to colour negative film. For that, I hope Kodak's film division doesn't go the way of the dodo (among other reasons).

  6. #316
    Hatchetman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    593
    Images
    6
    It's imaginary to the creditors because they are never going to see it.

    All these past bad decisions and sunk costs; debt, pension obligations, etc. are irrelevant if somebody can can take the assets for nothing and make film profitably. That is all I am interested in.

  7. #317
    keithwms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Charlottesville, Virginia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,079
    Blog Entries
    20
    Images
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by h.v. View Post
    So does anyone know of a good equivalent in Fuji (or something else, I suppose) to Kodak's Ektar?
    I am still a big fan of reala, which available in 120 size.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

    [APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

  8. #318
    Neanderman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Ohio River Valley
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    575
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    I am still a big fan of reala, which available in 120 size.
    Ditto. Reala is great.

    Ed
    "I only wanted Uncle Vern standing by his new car (a Hudson) on a clear day. I got him and the car. I also got a bit of Aunt Mary's laundry, and Beau Jack, the dog, peeing on a fence, and a row of potted tuberous begonias on the porch and 78 trees and a million pebbles in the driveway and more. It's a generous medium, photography." -- Lee Friedlander

  9. #319
    Aristophanes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    505
    Images
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
    It's imaginary to the creditors because they are never going to see it.

    All these past bad decisions and sunk costs; debt, pension obligations, etc. are irrelevant if somebody can can take the assets for nothing and make film profitably. That is all I am interested in.
    Read the reports. The IP has value, the offset commercial print makes money, and there are considerable real assets (property). What is losing money is film and entertainment (cinema) production and distribution, digital cameras (of which Kodak is shuttering some lines), and consumer printers.

    But the film revenues are in freefall, declining faster that overhead can be cut. Film revenues can no longer pay the pensions of the people that created the products in the first place. That's a liability accrued by film, not paid because customers left film for digital.

  10. #320
    tomalophicon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Canberra, ACT.
    Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Posts
    1,562
    Images
    24
    Oh awesome, I was under the impression that Reala was gone. Great news.



 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin