Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,494   Posts: 1,543,013   Online: 731

Page 37 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2731323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by OzJohn View Post
    Technicolor originals may be archived as B&W separations but I doubt that anything originated on neg colour stock like Eastmancolor would be.
    But they are.

Those who argue against digital archiving of images tend to overlook that, once scanned, it is possible to periodically copy large digital archives entirely without human intervention ie there is no expensive labour cost
    None? How?
    Does anyone believe that a spool of valuable MP film or file of B&W negatives has never been irrepairably damaged by water, fire or other misadventure? Please don't forget when arguing against it that a digital archive of anything can exist identically in any number of locations and for that reason alone it is the ultimate back-up. OzJohn
    Separations of important movies are stored in former salt mines which are impervious to fire, flood, etc.

EDIT: Separations of many important movies are stored in former salt mines which are impervious to fire, flood, etc.
    Last edited by lxdude; 01-14-2012 at 08:44 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Actually, GEH stores their archived films in an air conditioned underground vault nearly the size of an airplane hangar. Most of it is nitrate original, for which nothing much can be done. The rest has been copied and in the case of color exists as 3 color separations. Hollywood does much the same. Three color separations in one location and the ECN originals in another. No one is so foolish to have only one copy nor to store both in the same place.

PE

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Digital long time archiving/storage is currently still a myth and will remain so for quite some time. The costs for archiving digital material are up +10x higher than conserving classic archival materials (paintings, photographs, handwriting, etc...). Digital seems to be a synonyme for better to some people apparently even on apug.

Dominik

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    OzJohn what matters is that films will be archived often in more than one way. What's also important is that they are archived with copies at different locations.

Yes disasters do happen and so that's taken into account. Film is just one way movies are archived now for posterity. Too much has already been lost because no-one gave a proper thought to it many years ago.

So the movie industry is now archiving on film, even wholely digital movies, and like digital there can be many copies.

Ian
    Blu-Ray rip + BitTorrent = more copies of many films in HD spread across the globe in so many places that only the end of civilization could end their existence.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristophanes View Post
    Blu-Ray rip + BitTorrent = more copies of many films in HD spread across the globe in so many places that only the end of civilization could end their existence.
    That or time.

They are going to degrade at the same rate, so how many there are won't matter.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristophanes View Post
    I'm guessing the masters are just a *little* higher quality than some amateur rip that was compressed massively so that it can be transferred in a reasonable amount of time.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    I'm guessing the masters are just a *little* higher quality than some amateur rip that was compressed massively so that it can be transferred in a reasonable amount of time.
    1. Given the resolution of the HDTV...you could never tell.

2. They're busy slinging 50GB files around now. Compression is passé.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Ok folks lets go back to center, yeah we know the trad film makers are transforming to be more digi (ie Kodak, Fuji) and if they can transform successfully or not (up for debate); but do we really need to talk about how they are doing it (compression algorithms, file sizes, etc)? I think this discussion is going too far off center.
    Last edited by zsas; 01-14-2012 at 09:27 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Given the resolution of film vs digital at this time, we could tell! Let any DVD sit for 10 years then compare it to a similarly kept print on ECP and we sure could tell. Chances are, the DVD will have begun to deteriorate visibly.

However, this will change rapidly over the next few years as DVD technology improves as well as digital sensing.

Right now, IDK what you mean by 50 GB files, but analog could produce some pretty big files. - Per Frame!

PE

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blue Ray HD resolution equals about 16mm on a bad day most movies are shot with 35mm that's 2x to 4x the resolution an Imax movie has again at least twice that resolution. The ripp offs are probably deleted as soon as the data thief change/buy their/new computer, the pirate server are likely to delete their files it's even more like that their files are being deleted by the copyright owners. And lxdudes argument is quite valid.

Btw. Am I still on Apug or on the why digital is better forum

Dominik

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin