Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,785   Online: 1019

Page 41 of 45 FirstFirst ... 313536373839404142434445 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    So yeah, Kodak...
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    You know, recently I released a 2 disk DVD set for sale about Emulsion Making and Coating.

Now, this is not a sales pitch it is a story about making the DVDs.
    The point of this? Computer files seem to become obsolete or contain many errors which makes it difficult to work with them over a time base that is probably on the order of 5 - 10 years.

PE
    thnx for the sales pitch .-)

Nope, this is not a problem not for us that spent the 80's and 90's mostly buried inside computers.....
    Most of your file-incompatibility issues are solved quite easioly by one piece of software : ditch those MickeySoft programs and move over to opensource SW, personally I have fled ship and uses OpenOffice this SW will let me open PDF-files, most backward compatible SW I have, It will let me edit and save PDF-files, open more MS Office files than Bill Gates ever wanted and ask no questions. And it will let me save files in umpteen formats that mickeysoft haven't ever heard of....

In other words its your responsibilty to keep up with the times, I have never had problems like you describe.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Read it again. I have 2-year-old images that won't open. 10% of the others failed before five years, and another 40% of the original amount before 10 years. I don't really care about those images anymore (from an old job) so I didn't bother to back them up after I discovered the failures five years ago. I'm now just curious to see how long before they all fail.

IMO, jpegs suck. But my only digital camera now, a P&S, only takes jpegs.
    You realize that your failure rate applied universally destroys the entire business model of Flickr.

Have you informed them? They may not know.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristophanes View Post
    You realize that your failure rate applied universally destroys the entire business model of Flickr.

Have you informed them? They may not know.
    Try uploading full rez to flikr.
    Good luck.

I have a sound backup strategy but it is a pain to manage.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverGlow View Post
    How is that so?

A 3TB eSata external drive costs $200. A 1TB costs $75.

TIFF, and many other LossLESS digital formats are available to use.

Easy, easy, easy....just drag and drop. On more then one target external drive.

Keep one at your place, the other at mother's.

Done.
    Those are consumer drives.

Try costing some industrial grade SAS drives for a redundant SAN, which is the kind of technology you want for commercial archiving to disk, and then get back to me.

You are seriously underestimating storage costs for an industrial installation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lensman_nh View Post
    Those are consumer drives.

Try costing some industrial grade SAS drives for a redundant SAN, which is the kind of technology you want for commercial archiving to disk, and then get back to me.

You are seriously underestimating storage costs for an industrial installation.
    Having seen just a tiny fraction of the Kodak "plan", I can heartily endorse your comments.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just out of curiosity, does anyone remember the high end DSLR Kodak marketed a few years ago? I believe they OEMed the bodies from Sigma.

For some reason it never really caught on. It was touted by some as the a digital camera that finally equaled film in quality. (Haven't we heard that one a few times?) Anyway, it could be considered as one abortive attempt by Kodak to get into the digital camera game in a serious way.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by alanrockwood View Post
    Just out of curiosity, does anyone remember the high end DSLR Kodak marketed a few years ago? I believe they OEMed the bodies from Sigma.

For some reason it never really caught on. It was touted by some as the a digital camera that finally equaled film in quality. (Haven't we heard that one a few times?) Anyway, it could be considered as one abortive attempt by Kodak to get into the digital camera game in a serious way.
    DCS pro. They claimed it to rival medium format. Most idiotic marketing ever... and a complete lie.

This link has the history, for those who need the entertainment:

http://bythom.com/14n.htm
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They made them in Canon & Nikon mount. 14n/14c

Bodies were sigma I believe.

It was one of the first full frame 35mm sensors (14 mp) and although it showed promise certain aspects were fumbled like software and they had a lot of problems when first launched.

I remember a PopPhoto COVER that touted it as equivalent to 35mm film.

edit: I think they used a Nikon N80 for the Nikon version and sigma made the Canon mount version but don't hold me to this

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Kodak 14n used a Nikon body based on the N80 film body, while the Canon version used a Sigma body and was called the SLR/c. There was also an SLR/n that was an improved version of the 14n (fixed some sensor issues the original 14n had).

I had a 14n for several years. I bet all the guys saying it sucked never actually owned one. It DID have the best color that I have EVER seen from any digital camera. EVER. I preferred film for black and white, but while I had the 14n, I stopped shooting color film entirely.

As far as rivaling medium format, it depends. It came damn close to 645. It beat the hell out of any 35mm film for resolution. I don't think it would beat a larger medium format like 6x7 or 6x9. It was close to 645.

The 14n files converted to black and white very nicely; it was easier to get good black & white from its files than from any other digital I have used.

Wasn't perfect though. The 14n had some serious flaws that made it useless for some things. In low light, requiring long exposures, the images often had weird lines and strange noise defects. It also required you to go in the menu and specify what lens you were using or else you'd get weird color shifting that people dubbed the "Italian Flag" effect. This is because you'd get a picture that was strongly red on one side and green on the other, with the middle being normal. Like an italian flag!

It was an interesting camera. A deeply flawed design that gave unmatched quality when used within the range of things it worked well for, and when you jumped through the hoops it required (like the lens settings). I recently bought my first digital camera in several years, a Canon 5D mkII. I need it for some commercial work I'm doing, where the client demands digital. Its a nice camera, takes great photos. The 14n had better color though. I miss it sometimes. I'm still shooting BW film in 35 and 6x6. Will probably still shoot some color transparency in 6x6. Color is still a little better and detail resolution better than the 5DII.

Here's some 14n images.

Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin