Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,422   Online: 1046

Page 42 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3236373839404142434445 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    To add to what I said about the 14n. I think it exemplifies what was wrong at Kodak. They invented digital photography, and were capable of making cameras with incredible color and resolution, but they always seemed to insert at least one fatal flaw in what they did to mess it up.

The 14n would have been perfect if it worked with long exposures and didn't have issues with lenses having to be set in the menu.

Leica's M9 uses a Kodak sensor and it too needs you to either set the lens in the menu, or have the lens coded with dots on the mount to tell the camera what lens settings to use. That's silly. Nikon and Canon don't require that. Of course, they can read from their AF lenses' chip what lens is used (but the 14n should have too but didn't!), but even with non-chipped lenses, like when people use adapters to put old manual lenses on new Canon digital cameras, there are no weird color effects.

The Canon stuff "Just works" and Kodak couldn't get that right. Now the company is going under because they couldn't make money on digital, and the losses are killing everything, including our beloved Kodak films, despite the films still being profitable today. I hope the films stay in production. I'll miss Tri-X.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chriscrawfordphoto View Post
    I had a 14n for several years. I bet all the guys saying it sucked never actually owned one. It DID have the best color that I have EVER seen from any digital camera. EVER. I preferred film for black and white, but while I had the 14n, I stopped shooting color film entirely.
    Thanks for that breakdown and samples.

It's my understanding that some of Kodak's patents are algorithms for colour rendering at the sensor level(and may include B&W math as well). It makes sense they would use what worked from their film profiles for their own products. Fuji does the same. Apparently in Japan it's a big deal to be able to render in favourite film options. Not so much elsewhere.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristophanes View Post
    Not all theatres with digital projectors have access to the bandwidth necessary for direct transmission of the master files. They receive their copies on encrypted disks via courier...
    Ahhh, yes. The old admonition takes on new life. In days gone by, back when a 9600 baud leased line was considered a "lot" of bandwidth the old saying went that one should never underestimate the bandwidth of a van full of 9-track tapes!
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    35mm
    Yep. I can burn a 4GB file to DVD (at 4x - no need to burn at 16x) and drive it over to a friend's house across town in less time than it takes me to upload it to a server that they can download it from. Ahh yes, the amazing speed of the JIC (Jump In Car) protocol. It's the wide-area version of the "old time" sneakernet.

ME Super

Shooter
    35mm
    While I agree that Kodak comprehensively stuffed up their digital play, I think it's a bit harsh to condemn them for not going on with digital SLRs. They made the 14n and thereby demonstrated that such an instrument could be manufactured by tacking extra bits onto existing film cameras and more importantly, showed that there was a market for the product. Having done that, Canon and Nikon were destined to write the next chapter for no better reason than they were SLR camera makers and Kodak was not (IDN for sure but has Kodak ever made SLRs other than the Retina Reflex, the Instamatic Reflex and the 14n ?).

Also, I don't think that even if Kodak could have made SLRs that challenged the Japanese brands it would not have made much difference to their position today because the real damage was done firstly by consumer level cameras, phone cameras and the associated loss of consumable sales - not SLRs. As others have said, a lost opportunity for Kodak was that it apparently failed to fully exploit its CCD sensor technology before it was superceded. OzJohn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Previous posts have it right. The software and firmware were real problems. Kodak was not / is not a software company. They got the color correction and color basics right but many other aspects were a mess. One version of SW erased the users config.sys and autoexec.bat upon installation! Great stuff. The support group went mad. At one time, all of them quit!

Just a new EK factoid.

PE

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Kodak Files for Bankruptcy Protection

http://mobile.bloomberg.com/news/201...ection-1-.html

Engadget, has press release from Kodak

http://m.engadget.com/default/articl...eng_latest_art
    Last edited by zsas; 01-19-2012 at 01:14 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Add another link
    Andy

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Not one mention of film...."materials science" I don't believe counts either, see above Engadget press release....

Materials Sciences, per Kodak

http://www.kodak.com/ek/US/en/Material_Science.htm
    Andy

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverGlow View Post
    You are wrong on so many, many levels.

1. The distribution of digital movies is NOT with harddrives. The movies are transmitted from the distribution location to the theatre's harddrive via the internet and/or satllelites. You are blinded by your religious bias toward film, and so much that you actually tell little fibs to bulster your argument. Your comments kill your integrity.

2. The "error rate" of digial files is nearly non-existent. The copy function uses check-sum logic to insure that the original and the copy match 100%.

Stick to topics you actually know something about.
    The company I worked for in Australia, when we did digital distribution, we used harddrives. And we weren't the only ones, a lot of the other companies the movie theatre's dealt with also supplied harddrives, as all of the theatres aren't able to download the files.

Granted, we are a smaller market than the US.

The second comment is true. The error rate is incredibly low for that exact reason. The errors we came across where introduced when digitizing the file the first time more so than afterwards.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin