Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,683   Posts: 1,548,536   Online: 927

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Would Kodak sell off their film division?..Would someone even buy it?
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ektagraphic View Post
    Would Kodak sell off their film division?..Would someone even buy it?
    The problem is "buy the film plant, buy a billion dollar fight with the environmentalist."

Sort of kills the profit.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelbsc View Post
    The problem is "buy the film plant, buy a billion dollar fight with the environmentalist."
    Then just buy the rights to manufacture and the machinery and make it somewhere else.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Then just buy the rights to manufacture and the machinery and make it somewhere else.
    According to sources here this may not be possible. The superstructure is fields long and mounted into bedrock for stability. The cost to relocate would probably exceed the value of the equipment, especially in a market where film is still declining. It's hard to put money into moving a depreciating asset. That machinery makes those films, and cannot be readily duplicated regardless of license. It's a custom job.

I am not sure that the environmental liability attaches to new ownership of the asset. The Court likely has the power to sever that relationship (land title) and attach it to the originating ownership or compel it back to the owner of the environmental regulation (the taxpayer; socializing the liability) if the assets do not cover the liabilities of the bankrupt.

I didn't know the plastic cans weren't air tight.
    Frankly, I suspect they are air tight enough, but more importantly, they are tight from water vapour infiltration. Water vapour will form on a thermal break, but the original contents gas accompaniment likely have near-zero water vapour, and the whole point of freezer storage is a constant environment, so no thermal break. Unless the container is stored in liquid, there is likely no chance of capillary intake either.

I performed the kid's game of tissue paper, baking soda, and vinegar on some new canisters from Kodak this summer. Lots of fun. The cannisters easily resisted the substantial increase in pressure for 20 sec. before a 15 ft. launch. This indicates that the seal no the cannister is capable of holding a seal in ambient air pressure, such as in a freezer. If that is the case, then I see these seals being quite durable and no reason why they would break in a constant environment. I am 25 years rusty on my gas laws knowledge, but I suspect the design of those containers, considering that they contain a perishable item from a company known for its QC, went through such analysis.

Anecdotal evidence suggests that freezer storage for film works for quite a few years with little to no degradation due to environmental ingress. I thought that fogging was caused by background radiation.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristophanes View Post
    Anecdotal evidence suggests that freezer storage for film works for quite a few years with little to no degradation due to environmental ingress.
    If there is fresh film available in 10 years, everyone will say that 10 years of freezing was detrimental to film.
    If all makers go out of business or stop making film in the mean time, everyone will say that frozen film holds up nicely
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Here I go... I am as much of an armchair engineer as some of you (NOT talking about PE). Just shipping equipement and formulas is not so easy. My dad's company closed and thought they would just ship the machinery off to Mexico City and plug it in and keep making rubber shit. They didn't even need a dark clean factory and they made scrap for a year, and five years out were still making inferior products.

Those Kodak coating machines are city block long and small skyscraper high and they are in DARK CLEAN buildings.

Oh well, again. I may not be able to have Tri-x two years from now... but I have HP4 and Pan F and I'll have to make due.
    Last edited by vpwphoto; 01-10-2012 at 08:38 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Can everyone get back to work now?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericsavi...bound-sharply/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by billschwab View Post
    From TFA:
    and accelerate its transformation into a digital company

As we complete Kodak’s transformation to a digital company (...)
    What's in the way of completing that transformation? Oh, yeah... analog products!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak has been "completing" that transition for several years now and Perez is still leading the whole mess! Yeah, Kodak was up sharply yesterday. It was pitiful all the same.

Now, on cans. Ever put an air tight plastic bag of something in a freezer? Note the creeping ice? Film is filled with volatiles that can slowly outgas and creep through the weak seals of the plastic containers which might withstand an abrupt change in pressure but which might not withstand a slow change in environment.

I am not saying it WILL, I am cautioning you that it MIGHT be bad, or at least not as good as hermetically sealed foil wrappers or metal cans which were used 20 - 30 years ago. The storage conditions have changed because of the packing material.

PE

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Didn't Perez just sell the sensor division so the transition he means isn't to digital but to printers. Is there a place where one can buy new metal cans not the motion picture kind.

Dominik

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin