Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,690   Posts: 1,548,864   Online: 959

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    No, not to blame for the loss of "easy money." To blame for mismanaging the consequences of that event.

It's not that event which uniquely caused Kodak's problems. All film manufacturers were hit with that same loss of easy money. But some of them, with better business management at the helm, ended up fairing far better.

The catastrophic drop in film usage is old, old news. The issue with Perez/Kodak BODs is how they reacted to it. Or didn't...

Ken
    Old news? Obviously not to some around here given the inanities on several Kodak threads over the last few days. Lost revenue is lost revenue. Kodak's market share meant the losses were large, painful, and irremediable.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    No, not to blame for the loss of "easy money." To blame for mismanaging the consequences of that event.

It's not that event which uniquely caused Kodak's problems. All film manufacturers were hit with that same loss of easy money. But some of them, with better business management at the helm, ended up fairing far better.

The catastrophic drop in film usage is old, old news. The issue with Perez/Kodak BODs is how they reacted to it. Or didn't...

Ken
    I don't think the money was ever "easy". Kodak invested staggering amounts into reaching deep into the consumer experience and taking the brand along with it, only to find that investment worthless when the quality of digital + its unavoidable convenience became good enough for the average consumer.

Fuji was also hit, but they actually still manufacture sensors (licensing some Kodak patents!) and still produce cameras. Perez should get that axe for failing to keep up with that rival.

But now we are talking about a primarily digital Kodak. It's really hard to make a case that management mismanaged the film asset. From what I understand in another thread, even in the face of the digital paradigm shift, Kodak still invested in a more flexible plant for multiple emulsion systems, and they continued with motion picture efforts to considerable acclaim, and more recently they re-worked Portra and Ektar. That is neither euthanasia nor complacency. I don't think anything Kodak could have done different on the film side could have stemmed any of the erosion of the consumer base.

Kodak, not Sony, sensors should be in every Nikon. Instead of transitioning Kodak like IBM did, Kodak should still be to digital photography what Intel is to the microchip :"Kodak Inside". The lead Kodak squandered is a tragedy.....

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Blog Entries
    the ink jet printers kodak makes/made were/are better than
    their competition. rather than pay the nose through the ink
    you pay a fair amount for a good printer and get cheap ink.
    i see nothing wrong with that, seeing i paid a fair amount for my printer
    and i pay 200$/year for the ink. if i had a kodak printer i wouldn't pay even close to that
    for my ink ...

its too bad they didn't advertise to the consumer ink sector better ... i only saw
    their printer ads while i caught up on robert éponge avec les culottes carrés

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Perez should be fired because the market doesn't have trust in his abilities and because he was rated one of the worst CEO last year. Perez is bad publicity for Kodak, Investors don't trust him or believe a word he says. That's a legitimate reason to get rid of him and is based on several articles written about Kodak and Antonio Perez.

I've heard that Kodak printers were good and have seen it first hand but Kodak isn't perceived as printer company but as Film company.

Dominik

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MDR View Post
    Perez should be fired because the market doesn't have trust in his abilities and because he was rated one of the worst CEO last year. Perez is bad publicity for Kodak, Investors don't trust him or believe a word he says. That's a legitimate reason to get rid of him and is based on several articles written about Kodak and Antonio Perez.

I've heard that Kodak printers were good and have seen it first hand but Kodak isn't perceived as printer company but as Film company.

Dominik
    OK, so a new spectacularly capable CEO will turn back the clock for EK? Really?

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Never said that but if the market or investors don't believe in a guy he should be fired at least in a company owned by Stockholders. That's a business fact nobody will invest in anything Kodak not only because Film is on decline but because they don't trust its CEO. That's two strikes against Kodak the second one can easily be solved furthermore I don't believe that Perez is solely responsible for Kodak's downfall where was the board of directors, where were the advisors that can't seem to shut up now. Perez is a symbol that's all a new CEO with the marketing genius of Steve Jobs would be necessary and even this genius would'nt have it easy.

Dominik

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bwfans View Post

3) Should Perez serves in Obama’s Jobs and Competitiveness Council?

Perez "serves on President Obama’s Jobs and Competitiveness Council, which is responsible for promoting economic growth and job creation in the U.S." This is definitely a wrong committee to put him in. According to WikiPedia, "Antonio M. Pérez (born 1945) is a Spanish businessman". It might be best to send him back to save European from their sovereign debt crisis.
    Please keep him on your side of the Ocean... We don't need no incompetent people here... already have a HUGE bunch !
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    robert éponge avec les culottes carrés
    My favourite cartoon series.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Perez turned Kodak into clown school. They could have made much better decisions with someone else in charge. As CEO and someone of that level, they need to get shot from the company, no parachutes, no questions asked. Perform, make money for shareholders or get out. It's simple business.
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Forbes: The Seven Habits of Spectacularly Unsuccessful Executives

Habit #1: They see themselves and their companies as dominating their environment
    I don't know that Perez ever saw Kodak as dominating the environment, but he certainly saw himself as dominating the environment.

Habit #2: They identify so completely with the company that there is no clear boundary between their personal interests and their corporation’s interests
    I'm sure Perez doesn't understand what is best for Kodak, only what is best for himself.

Habit #3: They think they have all the answers
    I'm sure Perez thinks he has all the answers.

Habit #4: They ruthlessly eliminate anyone who isn’t completely behind them

Habit #5: They are consummate spokespersons, obsessed with the company image
    I think Perez is obsessed with his image.

Habit #6: They underestimate obstacles
    Perez has no clue of the obstacles.

Habit #7: They stubbornly rely on what worked for them in the past
    Nothing worked for Perez in the past, not that he doesn't mind that.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin