Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,482   Posts: 1,571,156   Online: 1171

Page 13 of 45 FirstFirst ... 37891011121314151617181923 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    ^agree, Apple and Samsung, best friends for chips yet sue each other over phone OS and design
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Clayne;

No and No.

Kodak has tried to make Fuji emulsions and we have pinpointed the failure points in a Kodak making station but that is about it. Too expensive.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    \
    As much as you'd love to see film die, plenty of us will still continue shooting until the day *we* actually die.
    You see, that's the problem.

It's not about you.

It's about film for future gens. It's a valuable cultural resource so we don;t all suffer from single media tunnel vision.

I'll let you get back to your self-centred navel gazing, tongue in cheek, of course.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristophanes View Post
    You see, that's the problem.

It's not about you.

It's about film for future gens. It's a valuable cultural resource so we don;t all suffer from single media tunnel vision.

I'll let you get back to your self-centred navel gazing, tongue in cheek, of course.
    You couldn't be further off the mark about my intentions and desires for film as a medium.

Amazing. So you're now the optimist and I'm the selfish pessimist one here?

Or is your continual referencing of how Kodak is mostly doomed to fail just you "telling it like it is?"
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    ... are hampered by the fact there are pretty much no new film or motion picture cameras being made now, the major scanner manufacturers have stopped dedicated 135/120 scanners
    You have already been shown a number of makers of new cameras, and if you head over to DPUG you'll see that 2 new dedicated scanners for 120 roll film have just been announced. Nikon 120 capable scanners sell for 30-100% more in the use dmarket than they sold for when they were still made.

You love talking about "facts" and how you "uphold the facts" yet you spout nothing but malevolent conjecture at us who you hope don't bother to inform themselves. It really gets boring by now.
    It's kind of hard to grow revenues under those circumstances.
    As you have tried to ignore for so long, Kodak has made a profit with film during the last 10 years. You love to quote Ron Mowrey in full text whenever something he writes supports your doom&gloom attitude, so you might as well trust him if he writes about the profitability of Kodak's film business.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I hate to say it but Aristophanes and PE are 100% correct.

Look at the split of the film group before the BK. Consumer film in one group and professional in another.

I would bet money that the single use cameras make way more money than all professional still film sales. Why would EK break the film groups apart ??

Do you really trust what BJP posted on their web site ?? Come on now !!

No matter what brand of film you love, we all need as many options as we can get.

Let's hope they can pull this off...

Go buy some film and shoot it !!
    Scott Sheppard
    Inside Analog Photo
    http://www.insideanalogphoto.com

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudeofus View Post
    You have already been shown a number of makers of new cameras, and if you head over to DPUG you'll see that 2 new dedicated scanners for 120 roll film have just been announced. Nikon 120 capable scanners sell for 30-100% more in the use dmarket than they sold for when they were still made.

You love talking about "facts" and how you "uphold the facts" yet you spout nothing but malevolent conjecture at us who you hope don't bother to inform themselves. It really gets boring by now.

As you have tried to ignore for so long, Kodak has made a profit with film during the last 10 years. You love to quote Ron Mowrey in full text whenever something he writes supports your doom&gloom attitude, so you might as well trust him if he writes about the profitability of Kodak's film business.
    Private opinions are one thing, but private facts? Where's the "malevolent conjecture" in quoting financial data from public documents? What's so imponderable about the widely-documented collapse of demand for consumer and professional still film materials?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott_Sheppard View Post

Go buy some film and shoot it !!
    I'd love to buy more, but I did a reality check last weekend. I have somewhere in the neighborhood of three hundred rolls of film on hand plus 2 hundred-foot rolls. I think I'm good. If I didn't have 75+ cameras I'd buy a camera instead.

I guess I'll have to shoot some!

That's what it all comes down to, shooting. Film is fun (for most apugers at least) and digital is fun too. Shoot what you want. Gods, it isn't religion. It isn't politics. It's not even marriage. Kodak will blow up or stay in the film business. Film, either is, or isn't, here to stay. If it does go away and you still want to play with silver you can, it's called emulsion making, wet plates, and coating.

Me? I'm gonna stock up on xtol.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's interesting how recent events World wide have blown holes in very widely held twentieth century economic theory s that companys and institutions are " too big to fail".
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Private opinions are one thing, but private facts? Where's the "malevolent conjecture" in quoting financial data from public documents? What's so imponderable about the widely-documented collapse of demand for consumer and professional still film materials?
    Aristophanes claims he reports objective and verifiable facts yet he intentionally chooses to report them so selectively that a wrong picture is bound to emerge. His claim about dedicated film scanners was just one prominent example. He inserts full text quotes of PE to support his doom&gloom yet completely ignores or brushes him aside when he doesn't support his crackpot theories of imminent and sudden cascading failure of world wide film business as a result of Kodak's chapter 11 filing.

Mr. Inside Analog: PE and Aristophanes can't both be 100% correct because PE contradicts Aristophanes in quite a few points, and especially in those points Aristophanes claims to have so much expertise in (profitability of film business). Given your poor fact checking on record here I don't know why we should trust you more than BJP.

We're all used to this kind of polemic when elections are near, but at least in this forum you should expect to be called on them.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin