Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,864   Posts: 1,583,199   Online: 835

Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Call me an ostrich, but I'm gonna do exactly the same thing I do anytime I read the doom and gloom about film photography. I'm gonna go blow my allowance on film and paper and chemicals and leave someone else to worry about the store.

I'm off on a four-day film bender. Starting right.....
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    From Bloomberg:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...ection-1-.html

I'd note two interesting factoids relating to the film biz:

1) The note about selling assets. This is not just about Kodak restructuring and shedding bad debt, but about a partial liquidation and divestment. With the film demand curve still dropping, even accelerating, this unit is almost sure to go. The coating equipment gets less and less valuable every day. Creditors will not take shares in a restructured company with a depreciating asset like that.

2) Sony Studios and Warner Brothers are two of the largest unsecured creditors. They are also likely two of the largest consumers of Kodak film products and services through the motion picture side which drives the bulk of the demand. Kodak's film assets are most likely to be salvaged by the motion picture industry. This is where the money is. How these creditors are compensated will be an interesting side-story. I would not at all be surprised to see a consortium of motion picture people get together and bid on the coating and processing assets related to film.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristophanes View Post
    From Bloomberg:

I would not at all be surprised to see a consortium of motion picture people get together and bid on the coating and processing assets related to film.
    Of course, such a consortium would not be concerned with much beyond providing for their own needs. We would likely be left out in the cold.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I am struck how the press release makes no mention of film anywhere. Which supports my suspicion that Film will be divested. The PR says digital a million times...I think the writing is on the wall as their lack of commitment to this group in the near future

As far as who will buy it (Film assets) anyones guess. Aristo, interesting theory re a motion picture consortium.
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    No, they need to do it wel!!

Steve.
    Thanks for the humor amid the turmoil.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think this article is a very good summery of the situation http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...ent-has-passed
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm still stuck on why, maybe Kodak will hire me.

Anyway, I came across this article and if the facts are true it opens up a new perspective for me.

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2012/01/18/the-kodak-lie/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Scott Sheppard
    Inside Analog Photo
    http://www.insideanalogphoto.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Re Fourtue article:

"...move the cost and risk of innovating off your balance sheet and onto others"

This is not a new idea, any interview of Michael Dell from the 90's will show how he did this

I guess the writer above is trying to term it now?
    Andy

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zsas View Post
    Re Fourtue article:

"...move the cost and risk of innovating off your balance sheet and onto others"

This is not a new idea, any interview of Michael Dell from the 90's will show how he did this

I guess the writer above is trying to term it now?
    This was also the strategy of the banking industry with regard to securitization of mortgage loans. That worked out well for everybody.

Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin