Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,997   Posts: 1,524,294   Online: 848

Page 35 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2529303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Okay you went and got me started! Watch out...

I have been trying for ages to get certain administrators to realize how important it is that our educational institutions refocus on real world skills, as opposed to the google-based two-dimensional learning that so many kids get now (and pay dearly to get). In fact, one of my recent rants is in my APUG blog. N.b. the title isn't mine; that was invented by a somewhat overzealous newspaper editor.

When it comes to teaching, I can report that in much of American higher ed, if you tell your department that you want to teach practical skills because that's what the students really need, people look at you like what wormhole did you climb out of? You may as well tell them that you want to teach machine shop classes. My god, haven't you realized that what our kids really need to learn is how to run the world from their smartphones....! I have nevertheless taught very practical material in my courses e.g. how to make ethanol from corn, biodiesel from waste veg oil, how to make turbines and solar cells etc. Not welcome material in a modern Ivy-wannabe American university But guess what, it's what the students actually want.... and what the economy wants too.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan W View Post
    What happened to the film thread?I've been away for a while and this is what happens?
    It's an election year. New cans/dogs to kick. Besides, everyone was tired of flaunting their ignorance about Kodak, so it's on to new adventures now!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Of course, they'll get paid accordingly, right? Who in their right mind would want to leave a field that they've put 15 years into for a job that starts out at $35k? You and I both know that for a variety of reasons, the system won't support higher starting pay for teachers.

Education's funny because we can all sit here and think up 'solutions' for how to fix the system because we've all been through the system. Incompetent teachers? Make them all have Ph.D.s! Not enough real world experience? 10 years minimum! So on and so forth. The fact of the matter is that people 'competent' in math and science for the most part don't want to teach because they have better opportunities elsewhere. I know a lot of those people. I also know about 10 people who went to one of the top schools in the country and majored in education. Only one of them ever taught (he still teaches). The rest had better opportunities out of the classroom and wisely pursued them.

I had plenty of crummy teachers in the 90's. I also had plenty of great ones who loved what they did, motivated kids, and generally did a wonderful job. If you think the best 22 year old, straight from college, can't do that, then you clearly haven't met the best 22 year olds.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post
    (

This is so true, here in the UK as well, and particularly now that jobs are scarce and useful real-world teaching and knowledge is important for children.

(I remember my late Father speaking of teachers in schools between the 1950's and 1967's...the majority had seen war service in WW2, they knew how to interest and motivate children and gave them knowledge, interests and social skills which serve them and improve their lives right up to today. The best 22-year-old, straight from college, just can't be expected to be able to do this.)
    The best teacher I had throughout my entire school career was a retired Air Force bomber pilot. One of the character building stories (no judgement toward our German friends) was about being the sole survivor down behind the lines in France traveling the underground speaking neither French nor German. It's too long to post here, but it is not the kind of experience someone who has "only classroom" experience can bring to bear in interpreting an event.

He was also a very good man for a 13 year old boy to go ask advice that you weren't comfortable asking your parents. And you knew it was as confidential as a priest without going to the priest.

Today he'd probably be sued by a schiester lawyer. Good thing he passed away before he ever saw this day.

MB
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    Okay you went and got me started! Watch out...

I have been trying for ages to get certain administrators to realize how important it is that our educational institutions refocus on real world skills, as opposed to the google-based two-dimensional learning that so many kids get now (and pay dearly to get). In fact, one of my recent rants is in my APUG blog. N.b. the title isn't mine; that was invented by a somewhat overzealous newspaper editor.

When it comes to teaching, I can report that in much of American higher ed, if you tell your department that you want to teach practical skills because that's what the students really need, people look at you like what wormhole did you climb out of? You may as well tell them that you want to teach machine shop classes. My god, haven't you realized that what our kids really need to learn is how to run the world from their smartphones....! I have nevertheless taught very practical material in my courses e.g. how to make ethanol from corn, biodiesel from waste veg oil, how to make turbines and solar cells etc. Not welcome material in a modern Ivy-wannabe American university But guess what, it's what the students actually want.... and what the economy wants too.
    LOL. I didn't say you should not learn anything, but you are correct, children are not receiving the fundamentals. The most useful class I EVER took, was a troubleshooting class in the US NAVY. It started with how to break down a system into parts and troubleshoot efficiently. Now that would absolutely be worth while in school, for anything from my lights won't turn on to fixing complex computing issues.

Complexity doesn't annoy me, in fact, I was happy last night with 7 different film canisters developing 7 different types of film in the dark room at school. I rather enjoyed the complexity and the challenge it added. But more importantly, I was not afraid of it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Unrelated to what you guys are talking about now, but in case it hasn't been posted yet, here's an interesting read about Rochester.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/03/op...me&ref=general

This line made me think about Ron, "Yet another asset is Rochester’s cultural institutions. Many highly skilled former Kodak workers chose to stay because of the amenities inspired by Eastman’s philanthropy, including the Eastman School of Music, the Rochester Philharmonic and the International Museum of Photography.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan W View Post
    What happened to the film thread?I've been away for a while and this is what happens?
    If you read carefully, there is a connection to Kodak here!

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree that teachers with military experience are a great idea - all teachers should have had previous experience being shot at!
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    If you read carefully, there is a connection to Kodak here!

PE
    I'll be willing to bet there's a Kevin Bacon connection too!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin