Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,540   Posts: 1,572,767   Online: 906

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Kodak was established on vernacular convenience, not some sort of ephemeral quality. Kodak spawned digital and it's young ate its market.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I don't know if this has been posted yet. If so, here it is again: http://www.bjp-online.com/british-jo...%22+says+Kodak

Hours after Kodak announced it was seeking bankruptcy protection, the Rochester-based imaging company was quick to reaffirm that its film division will survive the company's restructuring as long as it remains profitable.
    Jonckheer adds: "We remain committed to make film as long as there is profitable demand for it. And as I noted, it is still profitable."
    In 2010, Kodak's marketing manager for professional film at Kodak, argued that there was a real resurgence for film across the world. But, argues BJP's technical writer Jonathan Eastland, Kodak is not doing enough to sustain the business. "Kodak needs to look at what is its core business. What make them think that digital printing will push their share price up? For Kodak to make digital printers their core business is laughable."
    Instead, says Eastland, Kodak should truly embrace its historical status as a master of film photography. "Each time Kodak has discontinued a film, they used the excuse that it represented less than a certain percentage of their turnover, but it's still a percentage of a very large niche market. There are still millions of photographers around the world that are using film, and not hundreds as Kodak seems to suggest [see Jonckheer's statement above]."

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    The chemical side reportedly makes good profits and is growing. Just hope that T-Max and Tri-X survive. Surely some enterprizing Kodakers will purchase and save the most popular products.
    RJ

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vedmak View Post
    My sentiment exactly, how can Agfa be rebuilt and Kodak cut loose its film division?
    The current Agfa isn't a water drop in the ocean that was Kodak film...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sooo...

Do you think Simon and Ilford might be talked into picking up Kodak's 220 roll film packaging machine at the soon-to-be-held restructuring garage sale?

Just thinkin' out loud here...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Sooo...

Do you think Simon and Ilford might be talked into picking up Kodak's 220 roll film packaging machine at the soon-to-be-held restructuring garage sale?

Just thinkin' out loud here...

Ken
    I thought I was a dreamer...all I wanted was Kodachrome, Astia, and type R paper and chems.

I think both bring to mind analogies involving snowballs and thermally active infernal realms.

Nice dream, though.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    All I want is a colour neg (with colour paper) and a black and white neg (with black and white paper) in all popular sizes and I'll be more than happy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tomalophicon View Post
    All I want is a colour neg (with colour paper) and a black and white neg (with black and white paper) in all popular sizes and I'll be more than happy.
    Fortunately we have that with Fuji and Ilford, or we would if Fuji C-41 film in 4x5 were sold in North America.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    From the BJP article it sounds like winding down the film business would be the wrong thing to do, so that's good news. But, when the news of the bankruptcy broke the other day I must admit that a feared the film side would be wound down - not because it couldn't be profitable, but because that's the obvious, 'modernising' thing to do.

That prompted me to set up a blog/campaign, and I hope the idea appeals to the APUG audience.
    Given that I haven't made 5 posts yet I'm not allowed to post the direct link, but if you Google "tumblr emulsion for eternity" it'll get you there.
    There's also a Facebook page of the same name.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I know that there is lots of consumer info about Kodak's consumer printers, but it was my understanding that Kodak's investment in Commercial printing (CREO especially) is at least as important as the consumer printers: http://graphics.kodak.com/default.htm
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin