Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,963   Posts: 1,558,371   Online: 807

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That would be a dream come true! Where could one purchase Kenko cameras in the US?
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    ... including Ansel Adams, the Richard Avedon, Irving Penn and Yousef Karsh. ...
    "the" Richard Avedon?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    The bottom line is that Gibson, Harley Davidson and Fender are marketing nostalgia and they are doing better than when they were marketing a 'current product.' Someone needs to buy Kodak film division and do the same.

Yes, to some extent. But more importantly they are marketing a product that they have invented and hasn't changed and/or been replaced by new technology. A new Les Paul is and does the same thing as a 1959 model (for about $250K less obviously) but Kodak is dealing with digital replacing film and those are much stronger headwinds. Gibson recaptured a market that was simply waiting for them, with ZERO innovation to speak of. Not exactly the challenges that Kodak is facing. The comparison would make sense if digital wasn't around and Kodak just dropped the ball over the last 20 years and had Fuji eat their lunch with better product/marketing. Again, this is not to say that new management and a smaller, more focused company couldn't find a sweet spot (a la Ilford), but that's far from resurrecting a company to past glories by recapturing a market that was waiting for them, unchanged.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusM3 View Post
    True...but it can be a one time expense, for life..... but film, paper, chemicals, time, various darkroom equipment are an ongoing expense.
    True

But with my income, it's much easier for me to make a few small purchases (a few rolls of film, a 100-sheet box of paper or whatever) than one big each paycheck. Of course, I could just put a '53 Tele on my credit card and let my monthly bill be my 'little purchase' of the month
    "I have captured the light and arrested its flight! The sun itself shall draw my pictures!"

-Louis Daguerre, 1839-

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    BTW...all these Kodak discussions can be fun but endless..the bottom line is very simple: I have two teenage kids. I shoot nothing but film, I have cameras, lenses, books, chemicals, paper all over the place, thousands of rolls of film, and I shoot and print basically every single day, with rare exceptions. They think I am insane They enjoy seeing the prints, some of them hang on the walls at home, and find them interesting...but they are snapping away on their iPhones and living on social networks. When they want a print, they download it on their iMac and let their nice Epson spit it out. This is where it's at and no big shot photographer endorsing film is going to change that. It's just reality, whether we like it or not.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    if getting people hooked on film again is somehow an option, i think they are hozed.

i don't really think the general public really cares about anything but "instant"
    unless they rebuild what they were 50 years ago from a bombed out building
    and brainwash 99.5% of the population ... i think it might be time to move on ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    BTW...all these Kodak discussions can be fun but endless..the bottom line is very simple: I have two teenage kids. I shoot nothing but film, I have cameras, lenses, books, chemicals, paper all over the place, thousands of rolls of film, and I shoot and print basically every single day, with rare exceptions. They think I am insane They enjoy seeing the prints, some of them hang on the walls at home, and find them interesting...but they are snapping away on their iPhones and living on social networks. When they want a print, they download it on their iMac and let their nice Epson spit it out. This is where it's at and no big shot photographer endorsing film is going to change that. It's just reality, whether we like it or not.
    This is 100% dead-on. The vacation slide show or envelope of prints is now just posted on facebook right from the spot and that is as far as it goes.

Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    "the" Richard Avedon?
    As opposed to Dick Avery. THE Richard Avedon supposedly never sang and danced.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ground them until they come to their senses...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What Kodak needs....seriously
    I like it...

Too often I think these discussions devolve into reiterating the same stale patterns over and over. I don't know how it is elsewhere, but in this culture (USA) the Wall Street mentality has permeated completely from top to bottom. Everyone thinks that way. Most do and don't even realize it. Many here do, and don't even realize it.

If you can't be the biggest, the most powerful, the richest, the most controlling (that's a BIG one), well then, you can't be anything. You're a failure. Might as well kill the entire game by taking your ball and going home. Everything can - and should - be reduced to equivilent piles of $100 bills. And my pile has to be the biggest while your pile has to be empty. The success or failure of a business, or of an entire industry, is reduced to the level of clicking the Recalc button on a spreadsheet. Nothing else counts but the height of that pile. And nothing else should.

You can even see it here all over APUG. How many times have you read it? If my broken camera will cost $75 to fix, but when fixed will only fetch $60 on eBay, my only choice is to throw it away. No matter that after it's fixed it will probably continue to work perfectly for another 20 years. No matter that it has worked perfectly for the previous 20 years. And no matter that $15 spread over 20 more years is only 75 cents per year. No, the Recalc button says throw it way. Why are you even wasting time thinking about it? Wall Street says just do it.

Can Kodak survive? Of course. But it can't happen if those attempting to rescue it believe that the only valid definition of success is regaining 100% market share, a relisting on the Dow, a brand new film camera in the hands of every photographer on Earth, and dozens of worldwide coating facilities running 24/7/365 to supply them all. And regaining the biggest pile.

If they believe that the only way to succeed in the future is to repeat the past, well... they haven't been paying attention to the past. And they have no credibility in now predicting the future.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin