Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,165   Online: 789

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    I am completely against hoarding. Hoarding is terrible! It is so bad that I do what I can to combat it. When I hear that a film is going to be discontinued, I rush out and buy all that film that I can find and afford. The film goes into my freezer. Thus, I keep at least that portion of the film from falling into the hands of the dreaded film hoarders. Man, I just do what I can to help. No need for thanks.

Please join me and do your part!

Steve
    Your devotion to providing a home for these unwanted, archaic, dying products in these very difficult times is much appreciated.

s-a

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    If the buyer is somehow convinced that he cannot buy film then it is not the buyer's fault. I now have no place near me to buy any sort of film. I can get disposable cameras and I can mail order film.

PE
    I live 30 minutes from both Peoria Illinois and Bloomington Illinois. I can get 35mm Fuji print film at the local Wal-Marts and Meijer, 35mm Kodak print film at the local Target. Fuji & Kodak disposable cameras at Wal-Mart, Fuji disposables at Meijer and Kodak disposables at Target. But I don't shoot color print film. Most of what I do is E-6, with the occasional roll of B&W. The Camera Corner in Bloomington no longer sells slide film, though they do sell T-Max and Tri-X. Peoria Camera Shop has a few rolls of Provia 100F and once that's gone they won't have slide film any more either. So getting color film will be all online shopping for me once Peoria Camera is out of Provia. I can get the film delivered to my door in 2 business days from "the big two" in NYC. Both UPS Ground and FedEx Ground deliver in two days from there for me, so there's no need to ship 2nd day Air to get that fast a delivery time. And even with shipping costs its still less expensive than buying locally.

As for E-6 and B&W processing, it's all drop-off at Wal-Mart or Meijer (Fuji), or I can drop it at either The Camera Corner or Peoria Camera Shop. Fastest turn-around for E-6 is at The Camera Corner (about a week, they send it to their store in the Quad Cities), Fastest turn-around for B&W is at Peoria Camera Shop, where they have an in-house lab that handles everything except E-6, for which they have the slowest turn-around (2-3 weeks vs. 10 days-2 weeks for Wal-Mart (Fuji)).

ME Super

Shooter
    35mm
    Every time I think about hoarding something another favourite gets threatened. I can't afford to keep up with stocking up.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think hoarding film is natural as we all want to keep shooting as long as we can. But we are missing the point: PROPAGANDA. Kodak needs change its marketing strategy. When digital cameras first came into market Kodak simply gave up the fight, assuming film was doomed. If they have marketed the benefits of using films they would be much better now.

C´mon!! There are companies selling CIGARETTE!! It smells bad and gives cancer and even so with good propaganda they sell cigarettes.

It is not too late for a change.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Much of the film I have "hoarded" would sell for considerably more today than even a year ago. I'm beginning to see it as an investment. It has probably out-performed the stock market.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Things might have looked better (maybe) if people bought FRESH FILM, instead of buying EXPIRED FILM ON EBAY....I think THAT market has a hand in the decline in film sales.....

just my 2c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Hoarding Kodak = Killing Kodak?

Quote Originally Posted by newcan1 View Post
    Much of the film I have "hoarded" would sell for considerably more today than even a year ago. I'm beginning to see it as an investment. It has probably out-performed the stock market.
    I know what you mean. I bought several bricks of 120 Plus-X about 4 hours before it was announced discontinued. I could have sold it at a profit the next day.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Instant Films
    no, hoarding means buying == money to the pipe, to the player.

I 'capacitate' -- keep a stock, and deplete from it with replenishment. Since Kodak's problem is one of horizon-awareness, I have to figure they will crash. \

Ilford is playing a two footed game, and seems to have survived with that classic approach.

Paper is my current loss position.

marfa -- we need more freezers not more greenhouses, damn-it

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I was buying Kodak Proimage - maybe have 200 rolls of it - fresh - for $10 per 5 rolls. In two weeks it's gone up to over $17 per 5 rolls. If Kodak is influencing that pricing, it must have a death wish, and I am glad I stocked up.

The outdated film I have bought selectively on ebay has been a success generally quality-wise, but even there prices have generally gone up significantly. The last twelve months has generally seen considerable increases in film prices and I think this will continue. Stockpiling is rational, the prices indicate we are indeed living at the end of an era.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    ...By the way, when it comes to "hoarding," how does one know when one has enough?

I think I am still light on medium format and on paper.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails film2.jpg   film3.jpg   flim1.jpg   film4.jpg  

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin