Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,536,062   Online: 934

Page 11 of 63 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516172161 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    SWAG = http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swag
    I'm trying to work that into your text. Which of the meanings are you referring to?

And what does FADU stand for?

Sorry to pick on you Roger, but abbreviations are cool for the user, saving a few keystrokes, but for readers such as I, who have to look them up, it's a pain in the back.
    SWAG - Scientific Wild Assed Guess.
    FADU - Film and Darkroom Users Group, a UK based (but with world wide membership, though "UK-centric") forum. I've been participating in their monthly print exchange sending prints all over the world and getting them back from same. Nice folks:

http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...orum/index.php

I've been around for the decade. I thought my post was clear enough. Film popularity HAS dropped tremendously, no one can deny that. But people still do use it. But because the number of users and amount used has dropped so much, there's WAY more used gear in serviceable condition than demanded by same. Once that gear starts wearing out and breaking in numbers large enough to shrink the pool significantly, especially if film continues popular as an art medium, there may be a new damned for some film cameras. Witness the fact that new turntables and new vinyl LPs can still be purchased.

One can disagree, but if that's clear enough the reader just can't read or doesn't want to understand.
    Last edited by Roger Cole; 02-10-2012 at 07:28 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    who cares if someone is making new cameras
    there are a billions of working cameras
    floating around which cost 35$ to get fixed and working again.

the problem with K is they were cooking for 500000 for so long
    they forgot how to coat a handful of plates in the kitchen like in the old days ...

i hope they pull this restructuring thing off ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    FADU - Film and Darkroom Users Group, a UK based (but with world wide membership, though "UK-centric") forum. I've been participating in their monthly print exchange sending prints all over the world and getting them back from same. Nice folks:

http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...orum/index.php

I've been around for the decade. I thought my post was clear enough. Film popularity HAS dropped tremendously, no one can deny that. But people still do use it. But because the number of users and amount used has dropped so much, there's WAY more used gear in serviceable condition than demanded by same. Once that gear starts wearing out and breaking in numbers large enough to shrink the pool significantly, especially if film continues popular as an art medium, there may be a new damned for some film cameras. Witness the fact that new turntables and new vinyl LPs can still be purchased.

One can disagree, but if that's clear enough the reader just can't read or doesn't want to understand.
    Your post was pretty clear, actually. Just a couple of frustrating abbreviations, that's all. Thanks for clarifying. It's perfectly clear now.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    That one is new to me.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    who cares if someone is making new cameras
    there are a billions of working cameras
    floating around which cost 35$ to get fixed and working again.

the problem with K is they were cooking for 500000 for so long
    they forgot how to coat a handful of plates in the kitchen like in the old days ...

i hope they pull this restructuring thing off ...
    I think there's a lot of truth in what you're saying, John. My Pentax KX cameras are several decades old, as is the M2 and Rollei 35. My Hasselblad is coming up on 50 years old, and my 5x7 is about 100 years old. They all work just fine, and there are people knowledgeable and willing to service and repair them. I hope that continues, and have a feeling it will, especially if used cameras are going to be the 99.9% source of cameras for film shooters.

With that said, where there's demand there's a market. I think it's just up to us to keep up demand and the cameras will be there. I doubt the law of supply and demand will cease to work in this particular matter.
    Since you can even make your own cameras, I wouldn't be too worried about it either.
    Last edited by Thomas Bertilsson; 02-10-2012 at 08:24 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    That one is new to me.

Steve.
    To me it has always meant: Stuff We All Get - promotional items.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    In England it usually means this:

2 [mass noun] informal money or goods taken by a thief or burglar:
    garden machinery is the most popular swag

When I was a child, every burglar depicted in a children's comic wore a striped jumper and face mask and carried a bag marked 'SWAG'.

http://www.altham.com/assets/images/...ceman72dpi.jpg

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Your post was pretty clear, actually. Just a couple of frustrating abbreviations, that's all. Thanks for clarifying. It's perfectly clear now.
    I'm fairly active on the Alfa Romeo forum, where they have a whole new set of technical terms and abbreviations that can make your head spin. (but at least they have things you can fix with a hammer... ) One that had me scratching my bald pate was "PO bodge", but wikipedia helped with that one.

Getting back to APUG... man I love this place, but there is getting to be such a negative funk stinking the place up. With "the sky is falling", anything Kodak, Lomo "hipster chum slick" and whatever else, it seems some supposedly passionate analog photographers are taking delight in wishing for the end of film. I wish they would climb down off their horses, step away from their computers and put as much time and energy to actually use some film as they do pissing on it.
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Toffle View Post
    Getting back to APUG... man I love this place, but there is getting to be such a negative funk stinking the place up. With "the sky is falling", anything Kodak, Lomo "hipster chum slick" and whatever else, it seems some supposedly passionate analog photographers are taking delight in wishing for the end of film. I wish they would climb down off their horses, step away from their computers and put as much time and energy to actually use some film as they do pissing on it.
    I have never wished for the end of film, nor do I pizz on it.

Mr. Freestyle says that film production increased by 20% but Kodak's balance sheet says otherwise. Someone has been feeding him, and the BJP, a load of horsehooey, so this isn't about getting off high horses.

You cannot have a discussion about analog photography and where Kodak is in that discussion without tackling the issue of real data absent emotion and hyperbole. I try and see where Kodak is from the eyes of a creditor and not a consumer because that is how one makes the business case for analog film.

I have 9 film cameras and shoot regularly. I carry a Pentax ME Super in my briefcase all the time. I've posted some of my snaps here.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    To me it has always meant: Stuff We All Get - promotional items.
    That's what I thought too. Love those free Tshirts and stuff

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin