Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,911   Posts: 1,584,676   Online: 827

Page 2 of 63 FirstFirst 123456781252 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
    I'm with railwayman... everybody is using cell phone cameras these days, nearly everbody. It's been the quiet revolution in snapshots over the last couple years.

It's kinda crazy, but if you think about it, it's really the perfect camera for anyone that doesnt ultimately want anything more than just a decent image of an event. You're carrying your phone with you anyways, and the quality is quickly becoming acceptable.

And beyond that, since they're convinced that mega-pixels are the only measure of photo quality, they think they're right in there with the best digital cameras!
    I know it's a poor venue for discussing this, but I took a picture photographed with the new iPhone 4S, and I did some minor adjustments in Photoshop, and subsequently printed an 8.5 x 11 on the Epson R2400, and it is a gorgeous print! The camera in that phone is actually damned good, especially in low light it's miles better than my own iPhone 4, and better than the little Nikon P&S digital camera too. I don't think there's a future for digital cameras other than what's in a phone, or an SLR. I wouldn't be surprised to see an SLR that you can dock the iPhone to either, or have pictures transferred via Bluetooth while you're shooting. The possibilities are endless, and I believe we've only just seen the beginning yet.

I don't know if that adds anything to the discussion or not, as I feel I'm digressing a little, but in my mind what's happening at Kodak will hopefully allow the company to survive, while some really tough sacrifices have to be made. It's bound to have sad consequences, but hopefully some good news for those that still have a job.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is reassuring. From today's BJP:

"However, the firm has moved to reassure film photographers. "Kodak's continuing consumer products and services will include the traditional film capture and photographic paper business, which continues to provide high-quality and innovative products and solutions to consumers, photographers, retailers, photofinishers and professional labs," it says in a statement."

More here:

http://www.bjp-online.com/british-jo...ses-film-alive

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I did a show last year from my iP4 in Hipstamatic mostly in 9 x 9's and sold enough to pay for 8 iPhones. Two of the prints went as big as 30 x 30 and looked very cool. I also hope that Kodak comes out of this in much better shape...

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    I know it's a poor venue for discussing this, but I took a picture photographed with the new iPhone 4S, and I did some minor adjustments in Photoshop, and subsequently printed an 8.5 x 11 on the Epson R2400, and it is a gorgeous print! The camera in that phone is actually damned good, especially in low light it's miles better than my own iPhone 4, and better than the little Nikon P&S digital camera too. I don't think there's a future for digital cameras other than what's in a phone, or an SLR. I wouldn't be surprised to see an SLR that you can dock the iPhone to either, or have pictures transferred via Bluetooth while you're shooting. The possibilities are endless, and I believe we've only just seen the beginning yet.

I don't know if that adds anything to the discussion or not, as I feel I'm digressing a little, but in my mind what's happening at Kodak will hopefully allow the company to survive, while some really tough sacrifices have to be made. It's bound to have sad consequences, but hopefully some good news for those that still have a job.
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A good article in the Wall Street Journal about film's niche usage in a digital age:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...463961458.html
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    After owning one of their first (DC120) digital camera, I would never get another one. They are a great film company and that is what they should stick to.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    I know it's a poor venue for discussing this, but I took a picture photographed with the new iPhone 4S, and I did some minor adjustments in Photoshop, and subsequently printed an 8.5 x 11 on the Epson R2400, and it is a gorgeous print!
    Not surprising at all! And bear in mind the bigger picture which is that more and more people want to share their shots rather than print them with any seriousness. Like I've been saying for some time, digicam makers are going to get their clocks cleaned by even cheaper smartphone cameras, with which sharing is easy and natural. There is s till a big gap between the pocketable smartphones and the "serious" dslrs.... many of which don't even need to have mirrors, frankly.

What is extraordinarily odd to me is that the digicam makers haven't caught on and made web-ready cameras that would, you know, have twitter or facebook button on the back or something. It's what the kids want and very easy to implement.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    What is extraordinarily odd to me is that the digicam makers haven't caught on and made web-ready cameras that would, you know, have twitter or facebook button on the back or something. It's what the kids want and very easy to implement.
    I'm sure someone has done that. It's just really hard to compete with the phone in your pocket that does that exact thing just as well.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    Not surprising at all! And bear in mind the bigger picture which is that more and more people want to share their shots rather than print them with any seriousness. Like I've been saying for some time, digicam makers are going to get their clocks cleaned by even cheaper smartphone cameras, with which sharing is easy and natural. There is s till a big gap between the pocketable smartphones and the "serious" dslrs.... many of which don't even need to have mirrors, frankly.

There's already a dead end taking shape with mirror-less bodies designed to look like their film ancestors, e.g., the Olympus OM-D, Pentax K-01 and the Fuji X10. EVFs are making mirrors and prisms obsolete--Sony's NEX bodies a case in point.

Schneider's already making iPhone lens kits:

http://www.iprolens.com/

Shooter
    35mm
    I found it interesting that the NYT article did not mention the fact that Kodak's film business is still profitable (unless I missed it, but I read through it twice just to be sure). As far as digicams go I think Kodak is making a good move in getting out of the market.

99% of my photography is done on film. I have two digital cameras; one is a little Panasonic point-n-shoot which is actually pretty good, and the other is my Android phone which is also capable of good images. Guess which one never gets used? In fact the battery isn't even charged...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    There's already a dead end taking shape with mirror-less bodies designed to look like their film ancestors
    Well, I don't think it's a dead end at all. Many of us who happily use RFs don't think it's a dead end at all. Yes, mirrorless cameras have a long way to go, and there will be many incremental advances before it's fully mature, but... that's exactly what you want when creating a new market. Hear me now believe me later, cameras with mirrors (including digitals) will go out of mass production within a decade.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Page 2 of 63 FirstFirst 123456781252 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin