Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,899   Posts: 1,584,382   Online: 735

Page 5 of 63 FirstFirst 12345678910111555 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    The "duty" and "mission" stuff is a bit fanciful.
    Film shooters, and film distributors, have the choice. They can be part of the problem, or they can be part of the solution.

Those who are permanently penetrating forums with "film is dead" and "the sky is falling" statements are part of the problem.
    Because they discourage photographers, especially new, young film shooters, to use film.
    Who wants to join a club, which is permanently debating its closure? No one.
    All these "film is dead discussions" of the last years significantly hurt film sales.
    Market analysts know that. And that is the reason why the "film is dead" argument has been an essential part of marketing for digital cameras ("you have to go digital because there will be no film in the future").

Those film shooters and distributors/labs who encourage other photographers and interested people to shoot film are part of the solution. They stabilise the film user base.

If you fight you may loose.
    If you don't fight you have definitely lost, in every case.

I love freedom, the freedom to have choices and variety. I want to have the choice between film and digital, the possibility to choose the right tool for the job and what I like best.
    I am convinced the world of photography is best when this choice stay alive. I don't want to live in a digital only world. It would be a much poorer world.
    That is the reason why I do my part to keep film alive.

Best regards,
    Henning

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Sure, if you're willing to spend 3 large+ for the D800 or 6 large for the D4. The finder on the D7000 is just barely passable. Most dslrs use cheap, dim penta-mirrors, not heavier, pricier glass prism finders.The Sony EVF on the NEX 7 and tack-on OLED finder for the NEX5n are great for anyone not shooting fast action. Mirrorless cameras are also tiny compared to the bulk of a dslr.
    No wonder I am still shooting film. Without the 6 grand for the D4 the F3 bought new in 1983 for $460 has a comparable viewfinder as the D4.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Kodak will apparently stay in the film business fir a kibg tune
    PE
    I looked at my keyboard and cracked the code, but I still prefer to think of this as a fine old Gaelic expression, and I will try to use it wherever possible.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Chan

The Polaroid slide film no longer exists. I can't even remember when it was last available. Mine was from 1987. There were five different films. It came with built in chemistry. You loaded it into the processor, hit the switch and it let you know when it was finished. There is also a viewer / slide mounter that is a separate unit. I wonder how many still exist? I guess this is just a collector's item.

Back then Polaroid had many different films. The digital technology explosion made them obsolete. At least film will continue for those of us who consider it to be a medium for artistic pursuits (I hope for an extended period of time).

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Henning Serger View Post
    Film shooters, and film distributors, have the choice. They can be part of the problem, or they can be part of the solution.

Those who are permanently penetrating forums with "film is dead" and "the sky is falling" statements are part of the problem.
    Because they discourage photographers, especially new, young film shooters, to use film.
    Who wants to join a club, which is permanently debating its closure? No one.
    All these "film is dead discussions" of the last years significantly hurt film sales.
    Market analysts know that. And that is the reason why the "film is dead" argument has been an essential part of marketing for digital cameras ("you have to go digital because there will be no film in the future").

Those film shooters and distributors/labs who encourage other photographers and interested people to shoot film are part of the solution. They stabilise the film user base.

I love freedom, the freedom to have choices and variety. I want to have the choice between film and digital, the possibility to choose the right tool for the job and what I like best.
    I am convinced the world of photography is best when this choice stay alive. I don't want to live in a digital only world. It would be a much poorer world.
    That is the reason why I do my part to keep film alive.

Best regards,
    Henning
    It's looking like a contrarian proposition to many who I try to sell here in Toronto, where the oldest and largest pro lab in the city just closed after 57 years in business. It just wasn't viable. That leaves one good full-service(quality E6/C-41/B&W processing) pro lab in an urban area of just over 6 million. That's not naysaying, just the truth. Magical thinking won't stem falling demand, much less reverse it.
    Last edited by CGW; 02-09-2012 at 03:17 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffreyg View Post
    Chan

The Polaroid slide film no longer exists.
    ... and I seem to recall that the resolution was fairly poor, the color balance questionable, and it couldn't be duplicate. It has been a long time sine I used it (1985 or so) but I seem to recall the color film simulated real color by stripes of (primary?) colors ann the film had a silvery reflective surface. That was an intereting notion but never one of Polaroid's better products.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Brian,

Agreed. I used Pola Blue mainly to photograph text to use in a projected lecture series.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffreyg View Post
    Brian,

Agreed. I used Pola Blue mainly to photograph text to use in a projected lecture series.

Jeff
    Ditto

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Henning Serger View Post

Best regards,
    Henning
    Well put, my friend.
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    I looked at my keyboard and cracked the code, but I still prefer to think of this as a fine old Gaelic expression, and I will try to use it wherever possible.

If I die in my sleep tonight it will be with a huge grin on my face, a jihr htom!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin