Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,219   Online: 662

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    Others have suggested that with the reduced buying of raw materieals, the remaining manufacturers will have problems with being able to produce items. Considering how much Kodak consumes, I would think this is a valid argument.

Best help you can do is buy some Kodak film now. That is what I plan to do.

I don't believe that Kodak's purchasing or lack thereof will affect Fujifilm. Fuji can continue to make film regardless of what happens to Kodak.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    In what way have Fujifilm moved out of the film business?

Steve.
    What way? How about every conceivable way! Fujifilm makes virtually none of their profit from film compared to 20 years ago. Fujifilm makes products such as: Pharmaceuticals, Endoscopes, LCD screens, Cosmetics, Inks, etc... The list of non film businesses that Fujifilm is engaged in is almost endless.

Fujifilm is the exact opposite of Kodak. They successfully moved out of film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    Fujifilm is the exact opposite of Kodak. They successfully moved out of film.
    Except that they still make it.

Fuji can continue to make film regardless of what happens to Kodak.
    But I thought you said they have moved out of film?!!!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't believe that Kodak's purchasing or lack thereof will affect Fujifilm. Fuji can continue to make film regardless of what happens to Kodak.
    Supply chain.

Have you considered that some of the materials Kodak is ordering, in very large quantity, and vital to film production, could simply stop being available if Kodak stopped their orders?
    Once understanding this, you must consider how this affects other film producers.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by alanrockwood View Post
    All you people who don't want to read this (and similar threads) why do you come and read the thread and then complain about it? Just stay away and leave the discussion to those who are interested.

You remind me of a story a friend of mind once told me. It was supposedly a true story. He once had a college roommate who used to parade around the apartment in his underwear. The problem was, the window was always open. One day the police came to talk to him about it. A woman had called the police to complain about my friend's roommate. The lady said that seeing my friend's roommate parade in front of the window in his underwear was "... the most disgusting half hour of my life."

This story reminds me of those who read this thread and then complain about it.
    This thread has nowhere to go-and has already been there and back-but Doom and Gloom, and as such it should be posted in the appropriate forum. Doom and Gloom already permeates numerous threads.

Maybe we should just all buy Kodak film to save Ilford, while ignoring the obvious effects this will have on Ilford. These are stupid, pointless non-photographic discussions, perfectly appropriate Lounge material. Bah...I'm out of this one...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wayne,

Regarding your comment on whether this is the right forum category, this thread is about industry news. Therefore, this is exactly the appropriate forum category for this discussion.

If you don't want to participate in this particular discussion then why are you even here? Just stay away and save yourself the trouble while leaving the thread to those who are actually interested. What could be simpler than that?

If you want to talk about "pointless", it really is pointless to dictate what topics others may want to discuss, and doubly so if the criticism of a topic is that the discussion is "pointless".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We need Kodak's film division to survive, if it fails it will have a knock on adverse effect on other companies, they need competition to help stimulate the whole film/paper/chemistry market.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 02-18-2012 at 01:29 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Typewriter Correction Fluid, replacement styli for high end phonograph cartridges, buggy whips. Each was at one time, like film, a staple of its respective industry. The place of each in the industrial landscape has been replaced by some other technology. Yet each, like film, is still readily available. Film will be too, for a long, long, time. No matter what happens to Kodak, somebody will make it. Excuse me, please. I'm off to shoot some HP5+. I'll leave it to you captains of industry to advise Kodak on what they should do to keep film alive.
    Jim

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I can actually buy needles for my gramophone in my town. If I want a stylus for my record player, I have to travel a bit further!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    We need Kodak's film division to survive, if it fails it will have a knock on adverse effect on other companies, they need competition to help stimulate the whole film/paper/chemistry market.

Ian
    I would argue that competition is now a liability to the consumer if the survival of mass manufactured film is at stake.

I just confronted this problem in a report I reviewed for paper production (pulp). Over-capacity due to competition has led to both suppliers being so revenue poor that both are closing where one could conceivably operate for quite a while longer, albeit at reduced volumes. Customers left with uncertain supply abandon paper use, opting for other methods of packaging, advertising, etc.

What's happening with Kodak is similar in that no one is re-capitalizing through consolidation.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin