Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,698   Posts: 1,549,101   Online: 1123

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristophanes View Post
    I would argue that competition is now a liability to the consumer if the survival of mass manufactured film is at stake.

I just confronted this problem in a report I reviewed for paper production (pulp). Over-capacity due to competition has led to both suppliers being so revenue poor that both are closing where one could conceivably operate for quite a while longer, albeit at reduced volumes. Customers left with uncertain supply abandon paper use, opting for other methods of packaging, advertising, etc.

What's happening with Kodak is similar in that no one is re-capitalizing through consolidation.
    I find it odd that the only threads you take part in, by vast majority of the time, are these types of threads. Why is that?
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Except that they still make it.

But I thought you said they have moved out of film?!!!

Steve.
    Wow....you really missed what I was saying. Flew right over your head. Sorry about that.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    I find it odd that the only threads you take part in, by vast majority of the time, are these types of threads. Why is that?
    My area of employment and education.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My area of employment and education.
    So you come to a site dedicated to analog photography just to talk about bankruptcy and restructuring?
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    So you come to a site dedicated to analog photography just to talk about bankruptcy and restructuring?
    This is not the only photo site I frequent. And look at the thread title.

Why are you on this thread? We're all chasing the same ambulance

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah I see you over on RFF generally participating in the same type of threads.

There's a commonality between you and CGW and the general negative/obsolescence-obsessed threads you both participate in. It's evident in both the way you speak of things and the comparisons you readily make with digital etc. You strike me as someone who armchair shoots film and otherwise has fully embraced digital in your own life - most likely surrounded by many typical gadgets.

Example A: http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...44#post1806744
    Last edited by clayne; 02-18-2012 at 10:06 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I wont get into the debate of supply issues taking down the "others" if Kodak goes down the pipes as in permanently. Humans like to make stuff, stuff will be made if there is a demand for it at a price to make a profit... will it be a reasonable profit? or Luxury good profit? The future will only tell that. Sure there is a point where it will NOT be worth my personal economic resources to buy film sheets or rolls at say $10 per 80 sq inches. (1 35mm roll, 4,4x5 sheets or 1 8x10 sheet... the price for some of those is fast approaching already.
    I am confident that ADOX (I am experimenting with Adox and and Ilford will be around a while... and they know they cant keep their operations going if demand drops signifacantly (Kodachome example from PE) Supplies can and will be made... film base is used in many similar products. emulsions can be made in a basement! Consistent coating requires volume production!

Stop thinking so much and I agree some folks around here can be real downers and seem to be very much engaged in the sport of stirring the pot.

And if film could be made behind the iron curtain it certainly will be made for some time in our "world is flat" economy.
    Last edited by vpwphoto; 02-18-2012 at 10:22 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yeah I see you over on RFF generally participating in the same type of threads.

There's a commonality between you and CGW and the general negative/obsolescence-obsessed threads you both participate in. It's evident in both the way you speak of things and the comparisons you readily make with digital etc. You strike me as someone who armchair shoots film and otherwise has fully embraced digital in your own life - most likely surrounded by many typical gadgets.

Example A: http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...44#post1806744
    Facts are facts. You can get emotional if you want to and sling insults or personal inventive and assumptions. Ad hominems make no difference to me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I don't write very well... but if film could be made behind the iron curtain it certainly will be made for some time in our "world is flat" economy. I have absolutely no doubt about that.

No mater what is said here... film demand will likely continue to go down for to a point where it is just like fine oil paint or pastels... I am amazed now at how few people use anything but a PHONE to take family photos at school events and such (video too) I was just thinking tonight that the pocket camera industry is likely going to be in free-fall in another 3 years with miracle phones doing everything from pictures, to voice recording (I just realized I don't need my Olympus recorder anymore because my phone does that too.)
    Last edited by vpwphoto; 02-18-2012 at 10:33 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Facts are facts. You can get emotional if you want to and sling insults or personal inventive and assumptions. Ad hominems make no difference to me.
    Sure, but I'm not here to piss in everyone else's cereal.

You won't make any friends by continually trying to be right.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin