Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,197   Posts: 1,531,434   Online: 822

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Feeble, but those of you on facebook might want to "like" "Kodak Comeback"--

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kodak...094660?sk=wall

Which if nothing else, is a vehicle for Kodak's explanation for some of the actions they've taken recently.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    Sure, but I'm not here to piss in everyone else's cereal.

You won't make any friends by continually trying to be right.
    What does my saying the industry should consolidate to save film production have to do with urine in Kellog's?

My statement was positive. Yours derogatory.

You're not reading the post's content. You are just looking for someone to call a digitalphile like some self-appointed analog policeman. You can neither defend nor promote analog film use by misrepresenting the problems it faces and running away to your comfort zone. If you don't like the facts or their distillation, don't read them.

Read the thread title again. The "save film" part.

Facebook is for friends.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks David!
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    Can't Kodak help save film by dying? I hate to say that but it seems that if Kodak went belly up, and ceased all film manufacturing, then the remaining players Fujifilm and Ilford would have more customers and a more profitable business. I know that most would prefer Kodak to be the surviver and have Fujifilm disappear. However, clearly Kodak is the most mismanaged company out of the two. Fujifilm has successfully moved out of the film business and diversified enough to withstand the loss of their film business.

Anyway, what about the idea that having Kodak go under might actually help insure that film survives? Valid? Not so much?
    If everybody that shot Kodak film could find a suitable replacement with Fuji or Ilford (or Foma or whatever), then I dont see the raw materials problem ever coming up. But how many people are going to get butthurt because they cant find something exactly like Tmax 100 or Portra and just go digital? I'd assume quite a few. Then, I'd assume the raw materials issue could be a problem. But then, I have pretty much no understanding of the manufacturing of film, so I'm probably completely wrong in this assumption. But I like to think that if (and that might a big if) enough kodak shooters went with Ilford if Kodak goes out of business (and I hope they dont!) that Ilford could keep the demand for raw materials high enough.

If not, I'll just stock up on as much FP4+, HP5+ and Arista paper as I can
    "I have captured the light and arrested its flight! The sun itself shall draw my pictures!"

-Louis Daguerre, 1839-

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ideally I think Kodak film division would be spun off to a privately-held company. Worry less about pleasing the street, and more about turning a profit. Apparently Kodak film remains profitable, it's the rest of the company that isn't. Wall Street does not want to hear that, they want to hear plans for the future that they'd envisioned.

If Kodak spun off the film division, de-listed it, showed making film was profitable for them, and making digicams nobody wanted wasn't, I think that would be the best thing to happen. Of course, it won't happen, as to paraphrase Winston Churchill: CEOs of large companies always do the right thing, once they've tried everything else.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Do we really need another bloody thread about Kodak, supposed declining film and other bull being propagated as fact?
    Shoot! Get out and photograph!
    Right on... My thought exactly.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    What is to stop someone approaching the receivers and making an offer to purchase the formulations for ecktachrome.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by krifartida View Post
    I just bought 100 shares of kodak, just for sake of putting in my 2 cents (literally)
    Was 2 cents the cost per share, or for the hundred ? (sorry couldn't resist it)
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vpwphoto View Post
    No mater what is said here... film demand will likely continue to go down for to a point where it is just like fine oil paint or pastels...
    I'm not sure what you mean by this comparison. Demand for pastels, oil paints, charcoal and all the other traditional fine art materials is huge. This is one art form that is not being disrupted by digital.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gregrudd View Post
    What is to stop someone approaching the receivers and making an offer to purchase the formulations for ecktachrome.
    There is nothing to stop someone from doing it, but on the other end of it, the film has to be made. Everybody who has the expertise to make E-6 already has their own emulsion formulas and engineering expertise. This stuff doesn't magically jump from one plant to another. There is a very big ramp-up time, even if everything goes smoothly. And apparently on the high end of things there's a lot that happens that's specific to individual plants and processes.

Kodachrome is dead. Now Kodak E-6 is dead. All of the E-6 purchasing is now heading to Fuji. It remains to be seen what Fuji will do.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin