Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,766   Posts: 1,484,148   Online: 845

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Can't Kodak Help Save Film by.....

Can't Kodak help save film by dying? I hate to say that but it seems that if Kodak went belly up, and ceased all film manufacturing, then the remaining players Fujifilm and Ilford would have more customers and a more profitable business. I know that most would prefer Kodak to be the surviver and have Fujifilm disappear. However, clearly Kodak is the most mismanaged company out of the two. Fujifilm has successfully moved out of the film business and diversified enough to withstand the loss of their film business.

Anyway, what about the idea that having Kodak go under might actually help insure that film survives? Valid? Not so much?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Others have suggested that with the reduced buying of raw materieals, the remaining manufacturers will have problems with being able to produce items. Considering how much Kodak consumes, I would think this is a valid argument.

Best help you can do is buy some Kodak film now. That is what I plan to do.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I just bought 100 shares of kodak, just for sake of putting in my 2 cents (literally)

Shooter
    35mm
    So a company will die and so many people will be left unemployed and so many investors will lose their money so that film remains alive?

Which is not even sure.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Well, you answered the question yourself with Fuji. They have managed to move beyond film to other profitable ventures, but they still record large declines in film sales. They may pick up residual customers for C-41 from Kodak, but that does not change the problem with falling aggregate demand, and I doubt Fuji will go on a mission to carve out a niche for film. It's Kodak that has the history and legacy to do so and in theory, they could spin out that legacy to better managed, more focussed partners.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    2 questions:
    What incentive would a company have to invest in research and development if they had no competition?
    What incentive would a company have to control costs if they had no competition?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Oh good grief. Somebody please pile this thread on top of all the other almost identical ones. Sorry, but certain people have proven quite clearly that they enjoy saying the same thing over and over, for 30+ pages....
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    In what way have Fujifilm moved out of the film business?

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do we really need another bloody thread about Kodak, supposed declining film and other bull being propagated as fact?
    Shoot! Get out and photograph!
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

One beautiful image is worth
    a thousand hours of therapy.

"It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government
    to save the environment."
    .::Ansel Adams

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by krifartida View Post
    I just bought 100 shares of kodak, just for sake of putting in my 2 cents (literally)
    What I've been thinking of doing for a while now is buying 100 shares of Kodak and getting them in certificate form (if 100 sh is enough, and if certs are even available these days). It will save nothing and I will lose all my money, but I'll have a nice memento to hang in the darkroom.

s-a

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin