Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,865   Online: 941

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast
    MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Micheal my post was more of a general observation of the last few threads on Apug, I am guilty of it as well after all I am proud member of "Team Ostrich". The discussions are usually quiet interesting at the start but seem to be degrading very fast see Aristophanes (prophet of doom) post and the answers by some of the Ostrich team. Apug has lost some it's civility and maybe you're right and the nerves of some Apug members are a little raw, but it's no wonder after all it concerns one of our favourite past times.

Dominik

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i joined apug, and even paid money, to get away from the endless "film-digita" war. No clue why you guys are discussing it here.

Go take pictures. Use film if you have it, a digital if that is your choice. I'm taking my new ZeroImage 4 by 5 out for a spin.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MDR View Post
    I am proud member of "Team Ostrich".
    I am also a Team Ostrich member but I don't like analog, I prefer analogue.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    ...but I don't like analog, I prefer analogue.
    Ha! You must be British.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    It's called heart. I shoot and print film (mostly but not exclusively large format). But I'm no ostritch, nor does nostalgia have anything to do with it whatsoever. I do it because it delivers the reusults I
    want and because I immensely enjoy it. Other people can do what works best for them. That's their
    business. Lots and lots of people enjoy gardening. They know perfectly well that the flowers will wilt
    at the end of the season, and that even they trees they plant will eventually die, or that the next
    generation inheriting the property might not keep up their garden at all. But they still do it because it
    creates beauty and gives them satisfaction. It's about living in the moment and just maybe leaving a
    little of that joy behind for someone else to share.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Well said Drew!
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    It's called heart. I shoot and print film (mostly but not exclusively large format). But I'm no ostritch, nor does nostalgia have anything to do with it whatsoever. I do it because it delivers the reusults I
    want and because I immensely enjoy it. Other people can do what works best for them. That's their business. Lots and lots of people enjoy gardening. They know perfectly well that the flowers will wilt
    at the end of the season, and that even they trees they plant will eventually die, or that the next generation inheriting the property might not keep up their garden at all. But they still do it because it
    creates beauty and gives them satisfaction. It's about living in the moment and just maybe leaving a little of that joy behind for someone else to share.
    Well stated Drew; my sentiments exactly. If civility were the rule rather than the exception, yours would be the final words on this thread.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    want and because I immensely enjoy it. Other people can do what works best for them. That's their
    business. Lots and lots of people enjoy gardening. They know perfectly well that the flowers will wilt
    at the end of the season, and that even they trees they plant will eventually die, or that the next
    generation inheriting the property might not keep up their garden at all. But they still do it because it
    creates beauty and gives them satisfaction. It's about living in the moment and just maybe leaving a
    little of that joy behind for someone else to share.
    I feel that way too. I shoot film and process in the darkroom because it gives me the experience I want, and it doesn't even have that much to do with the results. It has been proven, time and again, that whatever medium you choose - it's good enough, if you just apply your HEART and soul. Tough to do that if you don't like what you're doing.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Call me crazy but I think this eleven page, so far, thread has been very useful. No ad hominem attacks like some places and I think it's made people truly look at their relationship to the film process. For some it's all about the image and for others, it's all about the path to the image, with the image being a nice by product of said path.

Reading other viewpoints is never a useless proposition and if it informs us in some way, then imo, it's worth the little bit of aggro.

Love d*&^#al but also love film. The world would suck without either...

as you were...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    For me analog photography is just giving me more pleasure than what digital can offer me currently. This may change in the future as digital may improve towards more analog qualities, but until I can feel directly with my eyes on a digital device that holds the traces of actual physical presence of long gone places and people as a simple affordable piece of color slide can right now, I will not want to give up on traditional analog photography no matter how stupid people think I am for doing so. I don't mind digital photography, I just prefer analog photography, but when digital wants to wipe out analog in the name of profit, I get defensive and a bit upset. I don't see why we should lose something so valuable just because it's supposed to belong to the past. Buffaloes and whales almost got extinguished in the name of profit, but some people thought it was worth preserving after all. Let's hope enough people think analog photography is worth being saved from extinction before the bean counters seal its doom.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin