Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,882   Online: 1136
      
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 117
  1. #11
    clayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,838
    Images
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristophanes View Post
    The analog irony is that the referenced equipment is all of industrial design and manufacture requiring a mass market to consume.

    It's easy to have an alternative when someone else originally paid for the product's existence in the first place.
    What's your deal man? Every single thread on this forum you've got an axe to grind. Try all you want to "educate" - it'll just result in alienation.

    For the record, and back to the thread itself, reel to reel is technically superior to CDs. It's also more musical and is the more accurate analog of film.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

    http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

  2. #12
    MDR
    MDR is offline
    MDR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Austria
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,041
    Both Vinyl and Tape have more dynamic range than CD and a lot more dynamic range than mp3. Digital is just cheaper and the sound is clearer because it lacks a lot of tones/frequencies and therefore produce a sharper cleaner sound. It's the same thing with digital photography because it has less dynamic range it looks cleaner and sharper while in fact it has a lot less information.

    Dominik

  3. #13
    benjiboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    U.K.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,680
    The reason received wisdom is that CD is superior to Vinyl is because most people have only heard Vinyl played on relatively inexpensive equipment, I can assure you that Vinyl played on high end audiophile quality equipment sounds better, but at a much greater cost.
    Ben

  4. #14
    Steve Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Ryde, Isle of Wight
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    8,553
    Images
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I can assure you that Vinyl played on high end audiophile quality equipment sounds better, but at a much greater cost.
    Only up to a point. That point being when the quality of the vinyl reproduction equipment exceeds the quality of the equipment the music was recorded on.

    There are some fantastic albums from the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s which were recorded on equipment which many audiophiles would consider hopelessly inferior to anything they would consider owning.


    Steve.

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by Diapositivo View Post
    Vinyl is technically inferior to CDs.

    Fabrizio

    er, no, it's not. Not by any means.

    One is certainly more convenient than the other, and more portable. But vinyl definitely outputs better sound.

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Only up to a point. That point being when the quality of the vinyl reproduction equipment exceeds the quality of the equipment the music was recorded on.

    There are some fantastic albums from the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s which were recorded on equipment which many audiophiles would consider hopelessly inferior to anything they would consider owning.


    Steve.
    This is quite true. One the most famous recordings ever, Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue," has a fairly nasty tape hiss throughout.

  7. #17
    CGW
    CGW is offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    2,798
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    The reason received wisdom is that CD is superior to Vinyl is because most people have only heard Vinyl played on relatively inexpensive equipment, I can assure you that Vinyl played on high end audiophile quality equipment sounds better, but at a much greater cost.
    Amen. Even something like the very affordable Rega RP1 or RP3 makes a huge difference over a tired 70s table, worn-out cartridge/stylus, and faulty memories.

  8. #18
    CGW
    CGW is offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    2,798
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Only up to a point. That point being when the quality of the vinyl reproduction equipment exceeds the quality of the equipment the music was recorded on.

    There are some fantastic albums from the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s which were recorded on equipment which many audiophiles would consider hopelessly inferior to anything they would consider owning.


    Steve.
    OK, like what? Revox tape decks? Mercury Living Presence 35mm tape recordings? early 60s analog DG classical recordings? RCA Shaded Dog classical titles?

  9. #19
    CGW
    CGW is offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    2,798
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    What's your deal man? Every single thread on this forum you've got an axe to grind. Try all you want to "educate" - it'll just result in alienation.

    For the record, and back to the thread itself, reel to reel is technically superior to CDs. It's also more musical and is the more accurate analog of film.
    Looks like the village explainers and fabulists are at it again...

  10. #20
    Thomas Bertilsson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Minnesota
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    14,168
    Images
    291
    Great fun article, Colin.
    I love it when people can think outside the norm and embrace something just because they like it. Why be like everybody else?
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

    "Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

    "...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin