Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,692   Posts: 1,482,413   Online: 683

Page 1 of 12 123456711 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

People Preferring Analog

An interesting article on the world being big enough for doing things differently (which these days, means non-digitally)

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opi...140682453.html

Actually sold my 8x10 camera to the photographer quoted, small world. He does some interesting work, if you can check out his site online.
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    :-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Guess I fit in there too. I use the latest technology at work, but like film and my darkroom.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Milne, 38, says he's seeing not only a "groundswell" of interest in things analogue in many different disciplines, but also a recognition that digitalization is a different process, with different philosophical underpinnings.
    .... Much of his work aims to reconcile and integrate the two worlds, he says.
    Very well put; an article which states the value of one experience without denigrating the other.
    Last edited by Toffle; 02-28-2012 at 02:25 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Very nice!
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Been there, done that, got the hand-screened organic cotton, cruelty-free t-shirt. There's always more than a whiff of latent hipsterism covered in these articles which are almost plentiful enough to claim their own genre. Reader reaction swings between "That's what I do, " to "You're kidding, right?" Loathe playing vinyl and shooting film being regarded as retro fashion statements rather than preferences untouched by aspirational advertising. Off to buy some film and cassettes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    At one time photography was the new technology.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Vinyl is technically inferior to CDs.
    Film is technically superior to digital (highlights rendering, dynamic range).

What would suit this forum more would be a comparison between a CD (or lower-end digital compression formats) and high-end audiotapes (not cassettes) recorded and played at relatively high speed with dbx. That can certainly compete, and maybe even surpass, CDs.

When I use digital in photography, I do it because it is convenient.
    When I use analogue in photography, I do it because it is superior.

An audio cassette or a vinyl record are good for nostalgia feelings. They are technically inferior, no doubt. Musical digital recording is both more convenient and of better quality.

If there was a digital camera capable of giving me the same quality of film with the same kind of investment, I would have gone 100% digital without any regret.

Film is with us because it is actually better.

Fabrizio
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The analog irony is that the referenced equipment is all of industrial design and manufacture requiring a mass market to consume.

It's easy to have an alternative when someone else originally paid for the product's existence in the first place.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    That may be true, Aristophanes, but it's second-guessing the past...what's happened has happened, so it's only practical to utilize the tools available.

I feel incredibly fortunate to have a variety of tools, for whatever the task at hand is -- because having options gives you and I more control, creatively and otherwise. This is a good thing.
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Page 1 of 12 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin