Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,851   Posts: 1,582,868   Online: 925

Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2678910111213141516171822 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tim elder View Post
    I'm never quite sure where Fuji stands on product availability. Do they still make sheet E-6 film? It would be a shame if there were no options left for transparency sheet film users.

-Tim
    Yes, and it's much more readily available than E100G was for the past year or so anyway. E100G did and does (at least I assume there's remaining stock) exist in sheets, but Fuji is everywhere.

Unfortunately, Astia is not everywhere.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Keith - there's still a fair amt of 4x5 Astia left in this country, and Badger recently imported a sizable batch of
    8x10 at a reasonable price, but that's all gone with no more in sight. I would have bought a bunch if Cibachrome
    were still a going concern. The point is, even in Japan the amt of Astia is finite because no more is being made.
    Too bad ... it was a wonderful for printing but never caught on big here because it doesn't look as snappy for
    raw viewing. It also was by far the best dupe film ever made, much better than CDU or EDupe.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have about (10) 80-photo slide trays with Ektachromes and Kodachromes but haven't looked at them with my slide projector in about 15 years. I have recently scanned about two trays of the 10 and find that they show well on a 52" HDTV with music in the background, dissolves, titles, etc. Actually I think they look better than with a slide projector. But my memory isn't s good as it use to be. I've even created video from them and posted on YouTube. I think they're more interesting in these other ways than straight slide projectors. Easier to set up too. Certainly easier to keep guests from bailing out to go home early when they see you setting up a slide projector. Now you just flip on the HDTV and start the show before they can make excuses why they got to go.

Of course that was all 35mm. I also have medium format. But these 6x7's were taken with Velvia 50 mainly. When I printed chemically, I had to do a 4x5 internegative. So I was really using negatives anyway. I recently did a roll of Portra 400 in 120 and it scans well. As long as some companies are making something, it should be OK. I guess there's nostalgia and most people don't like change or to see things they have had a relationship with disappear. But we all have to move on at times and we will survive.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    I have about (10) 80-photo slide trays with Ektachromes and Kodachromes but haven't looked at them with my slide projector in about 15 years. I have recently scanned about two trays of the 10 and find that they show well on a 52" HDTV with music in the background, dissolves, titles, etc. Actually I think they look better than with a slide projector.
    I use all kinds of projection methods, I am not totally luddite like that in showing work in that manner. Having said that, I recently had a Kodachrome editing party where my wife cooks something insanely good from the Food Network, and I show a tray of 80 professionally shot, modern Kodachrome slides, mostly through modern Leica glass, on a top-of-the-line Leica RTS projector on a brand new screen. Let me tell you, that not only looks a lot better than what my 47" HDTV could do, but better than when viewed on a light table with a Schneider loupe....seriously jaw dropping...
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    35mm
    RIP Ektachrome 35mm still film 1942-2012

OK, got that off my back.

Switching to Fujichrome Provia 100 until such time that Fuji stops making transparency film. I get all my film processed @ Dwayne's. Haven't had any quality issues at all. I just hope they keep doing well for the time being. I would patronise my local lab (in Oak Lawn district), but the price seems a bit high for (unmounted) E6.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scan0010.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	399.6 KB 
ID:	47229
    Ektachrome 100HC, exp. 1988.

-R

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    PKM-25 Can I come , kidding, sounds like a heck of a night!
    Andy

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I got a few bricks of Sensia 100 and Astia 100, so I think that can last for at least another couple years.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    Ned, I don't agree with you here, this is not D76 we are talking, it is control strips and volume...you want the lab to have volume in one place, not an accumulation of several dozen. Between fresh imagery, fresh marketing and consolidation, color film can and will survive in some form...
    Bingo. I always wondered why my local lab was generally able to get E-6 done next day, despite the fact that they're half of a warehouse in northeast Philly. It turns out that they do E-6 for their three locations as well as two other local chains. The advantages to this are twofold: One, you are able to keep the E-6 line stable by having enough throughput; and two, those other local labs would have probably stopped offering E-6 altogether had my lab not stepped in. Yes, E-6 use is falling, but I think it will be around for some time yet.
    "Panic not my child, the Great Yellow Father has your hand"--Larry Dressler

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Awwww.. I just started shooting reversal again and I prefer Ektachrome skin tones over Provia
    There's nothing like slides on a light table, almost like looking at the actual scene frozen in time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just last week I was showing a friend some 6x6 chromes and commenting on how the general public has completely forgotten about the magic of slides. By the time the analog revolution come full swing they may have to be reinvented.

Then again, I wouldn't mind using one of these...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4594357292_7ce7198f35_b.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	429.0 KB 
ID:	47238

Quote Originally Posted by amsp View Post
    Awwww.. I just started shooting reversal again and I prefer Ektachrome skin tones over Provia
    There's nothing like slides on a light table, almost like looking at the actual scene frozen in time.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin