Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,767   Posts: 1,484,172   Online: 881

Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 37891011121314151617181923 ... LastLast

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well this just Fuji'n sucks.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I can't say I'm helping either Kodak or Fuji very much. I'm still using Velvia from my freezer that I bought probably ten years ago.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    Yet with all of this new-found technology and incredibly shortened speed of delivery, photography has never been at a lower level of signal:noise then ever before - and, btw, the signal ain't so hot either. In general the "art" of photography is receiving a quality beat-down due to both massive over-consumption and massive over-production of imagery. The heavy majority of which is mediocre.

Remove limitations, receive crap.
    I agree 110%. But the only people that truly care about quality aren't the ones that need convincing. So the message is lost

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    Eh, what? Kodak is coating everything on just one machine. Color sells lots more than black & white. If Kodak stops making color, then it will also be shutting down everything for good. Goodbye, and thanks for all the fish. A smattering of cross-processing Lomographers is not enough to prop up a major manufacturing plant.
    YIKES !!

shows how wrong i am .
    i better keep my mouth shut

thanks brian ... i had no idea ...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    C-41 is safe until the movie industry goes 100% digital. Then Kodak won't have enough volume for their very sophisticated color film factory. Until then, C-41 film is a profitable business for them. Maybe not 80% profit margins anymore, but still profitable.

The B&W Kodak films are made at a different plant.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    Eh, what? Kodak is coating everything on just one machine. Color sells lots more than black & white. If Kodak stops making color, then it will also be shutting down everything for good. Goodbye, and thanks for all the fish. A smattering of cross-processing Lomographers is not enough to prop up a major manufacturing plant.
    Is that true? I thought PE indicated there is more than 1 coating machine. I don't believe it is fair for one to theorize it is all or nothing at this point...
    http://www.apug.org/forums/viewpost.php?p=1304941

ADOX scaled down from massive to lean...don't give up hope:

"ADOX Fotowerke GmbH is working under low automatisation with a large degreee of manual work.
    This enables us to be very flexible and manufacture many different types of films and papers without much overhead and fixed costs. Our workflow today is not far away form the original ADOX Dr. C. Schleussner Fotowerke which also used similar machines in their times, but we are now much smaller.
    Even after the "digital revolution" ADOX still stands strong for a comprehensive range of classic photographic products."
    Andy

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Shriver View Post
    C-41 is safe until the movie industry goes 100% digital. Then Kodak won't have enough volume for their very sophisticated color film factory. Until then, C-41 film is a profitable business for them. Maybe not 80% profit margins anymore, but still profitable.
    100% digital?

You think market capitulation happens at 100%?

It's probably far less than that. These factories don't keep the lights on for one customer.

Shooter
    35mm
    IIRC, I read somewhere on APUG (I think it was one of PE's posts) that the movie industry is archiving to film, not digital. The projection might go digital but the archives will likely be on film. Seems film is more stable than optical disks or hard drives.
    Last edited by ME Super; 03-01-2012 at 09:50 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: clarity

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    I just bought 60 rolls of Fuji negative film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Reading the moving shadows yonder, I've plundered a heap on Fuji films today, and also seen the Kodak bulletin "Product Discontinuance Notice" at my pro lab, a major consumer/pro retailer and another suburban retailer. Both retailers though had huge stocks of Kodak E6 films, but the Fuji stock was much bigger in both places.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

One beautiful image is worth
    a thousand hours of therapy.

"It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government
    to save the environment."
    .::Ansel Adams

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin