Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,549   Posts: 1,646,276   Online: 1012
      
Page 24 of 29 FirstFirst ... 14181920212223242526272829 LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 290
  1. #231

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mission Viejo, California
    Shooter
    127 Format
    Posts
    1,535
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelbsc View Post
    I don't know that I'd call it the ugly step sister. That's a bit harsh.
    I keeed... I keeed
    - Bill Lynch

  2. #232

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    1,095
    Images
    2
    Hang on, if it can make economic sense for someone to produce Precisa again, how does making Ektachrome not make sense, I bed Ektrachrome sells much more than Pricisa.
    Last edited by ajuk; 03-07-2012 at 07:09 PM. Click to view previous post history.

  3. #233

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mission Viejo, California
    Shooter
    127 Format
    Posts
    1,535
    Quote Originally Posted by ajuk View Post
    Hang on if it can make economic sense for someone to produce Precisa again, how does making Ektachrome not make sense, I bed Ektrachrome sells much more than Pricisa.
    It could be much better now for Agfa or Rollei transparency films since they may do very well with Kodak out of the market.
    - Bill Lynch

  4. #234

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by kb3lms View Post
    But for the reasons that I believe many of the "pros" used reversal films years ago, and I do not profess to be an expert here, a digital process covers those needs with less cost and higher productivity.
    I agree completely. I do accounting work for some professional photographers who switched over just 2-3 years ago. The reason was twofold: they had to compete financially and speed-wise with others who didn't have the processing costs and could show the digi 'proofs' instantly . Otherwise they said they'd still be shooting slides.

  5. #235

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    1,009
    I shoot slides in part because I can project the images at a higher quality with a slide projector than I can with a digital projector (not to mention the difference in price between the two!) Having said that, the iPad and its ilk could finish slide film off. The new iPad announced today has a 2048x1536 pixel display, which is higher than that of an HDTV at slightly more than 3 MP. Get it up to 6 or 8 MP and I might bite for the right price. 'Til then, slides are the way to go for me.

    The Slide Curmudgeon, aka ME Super
    ME Super

    Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

  6. #236

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    USA
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    615
    Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
    It could be much better now for Agfa or Rollei transparency films since they may do very well with Kodak out of the market.
    I just bought my first pro pack of the Rollei transparency film from Freestyle yesterday after hearing about Kodak's retreat. I had hesitated, but now I'm thinking "why not?"

  7. #237
    Hatchetman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    904
    Images
    10
    Projecting a set of slides you just got back from the lab is so much fun.......nothing can beat it. You have no idea what you have and then to see the photo for the first time 4-5 feet wide on a big screen in the dark! I can't understand how anyone could NOT get a huge kick out of that.

  8. #238
    CGW
    CGW is offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    2,797
    Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
    It could be much better now for Agfa or Rollei transparency films since they may do very well with Kodak out of the market.
    What "market?" Aside from the possibility they couldn't afford to make another run, Kodak just wasn't selling enough of this stuff. Not to revisit the $hitstorm threads of last week, it's plain that demand for transparency materials is a shadow of what it once was. Not good news re: the survival of Fuji E6 films. Quality E6 processing is just a memory in many markets in N. America. The end of Ektachrome can't help but spook the surviving labs with E6 lines.

  9. #239

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    1,729
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    What "market?" Aside from the possibility they couldn't afford to make another run, Kodak just wasn't selling enough of this stuff. Not to revisit the $hitstorm threads of last week, it's plain that demand for transparency materials is a shadow of what it once was. Not good news re: the survival of Fuji E6 films. Quality E6 processing is just a memory in many markets in N. America. The end of Ektachrome can't help but spook the surviving labs with E6 lines.
    You say that you don't want to revisit the shitstorm (why bother with the prissy $ sign), yet you just repeat the same views over-and-over again. What you say is perfectly obvious to anyone, we're not children, but we are surely allowed to express our disappointment and concern with the way things are going.

    I love steam engines, but I don't spend time on steam enthusiasts forums pointing out the obvious facts that changing economics, lack of demand, costs, inconvenience, and safety and cleanliness issues, have lead to replacement by electric and diesel locos.

    (Edit: CGW takes me to task in a subsequent post, (which now seems to have been deleted), for using the word "views" for what he asserts, quite correctly, to be "facts". Please read my post with this substitution....I don't think it actually alters my point one iota. )
    Last edited by railwayman3; 03-08-2012 at 10:53 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Clarification.

  10. #240
    CGW
    CGW is offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    2,797
    Quote Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post
    You say that you don't want to revisit the shitstorm (why bother with the prissy $ sign), yet you just repeat the same views over-and-over again. What you say is perfectly obvious to anyone, we're not children, but we are surely allowed to express our disappointment and concern with the way things are going.

    I love steam engines, but I don't spend time on steam enthusiasts forums pointing out the obvious facts that changing economics, lack of demand, costs, inconvenience, and safety and cleanliness issues, have lead to replacement by electric and diesel locos.
    I'm down to one quality E6 lab in Toronto, OK? I'm stating facts, not "views." The "facts" are bugging me out. No intention of running endless whiteboard sessions, which I'm guessing you're sick of.



 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin