Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,925   Posts: 1,556,767   Online: 1034

Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1418192021222324252627282930 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
    Oh God, another film killed, another 20 rolls on their way here

I missed the Kodachrome thing at least I can try the ugly step-sister before she's gone too.
    I don't know that I'd call it the ugly step sister. That's a bit harsh.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    35mm
    Me personally, I think Velvia/Provia are popular enough that chemistry and processing will continue to be made for E-6/CR-56 for some time - hopefully longer than 18 months!! After all, Fuji didn't reintroduce Velvia 50 for no reason - there's a market there for it so they reformulated it when one or more of the old raw materials used to make the original 50 ISO Velvia were no longer available.

ME Super
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelbsc View Post
    I don't know that I'd call it the ugly step sister. That's a bit harsh.
    I keeed... I keeed
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hang on, if it can make economic sense for someone to produce Precisa again, how does making Ektachrome not make sense, I bed Ektrachrome sells much more than Pricisa.
    Last edited by ajuk; 03-07-2012 at 07:09 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ajuk View Post
    Hang on if it can make economic sense for someone to produce Precisa again, how does making Ektachrome not make sense, I bed Ektrachrome sells much more than Pricisa.
    It could be much better now for Agfa or Rollei transparency films since they may do very well with Kodak out of the market.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by kb3lms View Post
    But for the reasons that I believe many of the "pros" used reversal films years ago, and I do not profess to be an expert here, a digital process covers those needs with less cost and higher productivity.
    I agree completely. I do accounting work for some professional photographers who switched over just 2-3 years ago. The reason was twofold: they had to compete financially and speed-wise with others who didn't have the processing costs and could show the digi 'proofs' instantly . Otherwise they said they'd still be shooting slides.

Shooter
    35mm
    I shoot slides in part because I can project the images at a higher quality with a slide projector than I can with a digital projector (not to mention the difference in price between the two!) Having said that, the iPad and its ilk could finish slide film off. The new iPad announced today has a 2048x1536 pixel display, which is higher than that of an HDTV at slightly more than 3 MP. Get it up to 6 or 8 MP and I might bite for the right price. 'Til then, slides are the way to go for me.

The Slide Curmudgeon, aka ME Super
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It could be much better now for Agfa or Rollei transparency films since they may do very well with Kodak out of the market.
    I just bought my first pro pack of the Rollei transparency film from Freestyle yesterday after hearing about Kodak's retreat. I had hesitated, but now I'm thinking "why not?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Projecting a set of slides you just got back from the lab is so much fun.......nothing can beat it. You have no idea what you have and then to see the photo for the first time 4-5 feet wide on a big screen in the dark! I can't understand how anyone could NOT get a huge kick out of that.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    What "market?" Aside from the possibility they couldn't afford to make another run, Kodak just wasn't selling enough of this stuff. Not to revisit the $hitstorm threads of last week, it's plain that demand for transparency materials is a shadow of what it once was. Not good news re: the survival of Fuji E6 films. Quality E6 processing is just a memory in many markets in N. America. The end of Ektachrome can't help but spook the surviving labs with E6 lines.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin