Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,077   Online: 930
      
Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 15192021222324252627282930 LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 292
  1. #241

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    1,544
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    What "market?" Aside from the possibility they couldn't afford to make another run, Kodak just wasn't selling enough of this stuff. Not to revisit the $hitstorm threads of last week, it's plain that demand for transparency materials is a shadow of what it once was. Not good news re: the survival of Fuji E6 films. Quality E6 processing is just a memory in many markets in N. America. The end of Ektachrome can't help but spook the surviving labs with E6 lines.
    You say that you don't want to revisit the shitstorm (why bother with the prissy $ sign), yet you just repeat the same views over-and-over again. What you say is perfectly obvious to anyone, we're not children, but we are surely allowed to express our disappointment and concern with the way things are going.

    I love steam engines, but I don't spend time on steam enthusiasts forums pointing out the obvious facts that changing economics, lack of demand, costs, inconvenience, and safety and cleanliness issues, have lead to replacement by electric and diesel locos.

    (Edit: CGW takes me to task in a subsequent post, (which now seems to have been deleted), for using the word "views" for what he asserts, quite correctly, to be "facts". Please read my post with this substitution....I don't think it actually alters my point one iota. )
    Last edited by railwayman3; 03-08-2012 at 10:53 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Clarification.

  2. #242
    CGW
    CGW is offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    2,798
    Quote Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post
    You say that you don't want to revisit the shitstorm (why bother with the prissy $ sign), yet you just repeat the same views over-and-over again. What you say is perfectly obvious to anyone, we're not children, but we are surely allowed to express our disappointment and concern with the way things are going.

    I love steam engines, but I don't spend time on steam enthusiasts forums pointing out the obvious facts that changing economics, lack of demand, costs, inconvenience, and safety and cleanliness issues, have lead to replacement by electric and diesel locos.
    I'm down to one quality E6 lab in Toronto, OK? I'm stating facts, not "views." The "facts" are bugging me out. No intention of running endless whiteboard sessions, which I'm guessing you're sick of.

  3. #243
    Hatchetman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    595
    Images
    6
    I was down at the lab yesterday. $15 to process a roll of 35mm e-6. Let's say I wanted a print. A drum scan of a slide is $30. High quality 5x7 digital print = $35. IMO the print sample he showed me didn't look all that great anyway. Oh well, I'm shooting 90% slides for the next year or so until it goes bye-bye.

  4. #244

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    704
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    What "market?" Aside from the possibility they couldn't afford to make another run, Kodak just wasn't selling enough of this stuff. Not to revisit the $hitstorm threads of last week, it's plain that demand for transparency materials is a shadow of what it once was. Not good news re: the survival of Fuji E6 films. Quality E6 processing is just a memory in many markets in N. America. The end of Ektachrome can't help but spook the surviving labs with E6 lines.
    What you say may be true north of the US/Canadian border, and where I live in the U.S. processing is generally available by send-out and mail-order only. However, I pass by THREE Wal-Mart stores on my way home from work, and there's a Meijer's (it's a northern mid-west department store chain kind of like Wal-Mart) about 5 miles from work. All four of them are willing to send film (that's B&W, C-41, and E-6) out to be processed. Pickups are Tuesday and Friday mornings. C-41 picked up on Tuesday morning is ready on Friday afternoon, and C-41 picked up on Friday morning is ready on Tuesday afternoon. My experience has been to add a week onto those times for E-6. Not sure about turn-around for B&W as I haven't sent any out that way recently, but suspect it is about the same as for E-6. Processing is handled by Fuji/Dwayne's, and slides come back with no scratches in cardboard mounts. If I want a print of a particularly good slide, I sc*n myself and upl**d for printing.

    Last I checked the USPS is more than happy to deliver your E-6 to Dwayne's for a small fee. I would assume Canada Post would do the same. Fuji pre-paid mailers for E-6 can be bought from B&H with Dwayne's address on them.

    But, you say, it takes two weeks to get slides back from processing if it's not done locally. Big deal! 20 years ago it took two weeks to get slides back from send-out processing. The wait gives me more time to forget what was on the roll, and when I get it back and toss 'em in the projector, I get to see 36 never-before seen images (no chimping!). It's like being a kid again on Christmas morning!

    ME Super, aka The Slide Curmudgeon
    ME Super

    Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

  5. #245
    CGW
    CGW is offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    2,798
    Quote Originally Posted by ME Super View Post
    What you say may be true north of the US/Canadian border, and where I live in the U.S. processing is generally available by send-out and mail-order only. However, I pass by THREE Wal-Mart stores on my way home from work, and there's a Meijer's (it's a northern mid-west department store chain kind of like Wal-Mart) about 5 miles from work. All four of them are willing to send film (that's B&W, C-41, and E-6) out to be processed. Pickups are Tuesday and Friday mornings. C-41 picked up on Tuesday morning is ready on Friday afternoon, and C-41 picked up on Friday morning is ready on Tuesday afternoon. My experience has been to add a week onto those times for E-6. Not sure about turn-around for B&W as I haven't sent any out that way recently, but suspect it is about the same as for E-6. Processing is handled by Fuji/Dwayne's, and slides come back with no scratches in cardboard mounts. If I want a print of a particularly good slide, I sc*n myself and upl**d for printing.

    Last I checked the USPS is more than happy to deliver your E-6 to Dwayne's for a small fee. I would assume Canada Post would do the same. Fuji pre-paid mailers for E-6 can be bought from B&H with Dwayne's address on them.

    But, you say, it takes two weeks to get slides back from processing if it's not done locally. Big deal! 20 years ago it took two weeks to get slides back from send-out processing. The wait gives me more time to forget what was on the roll, and when I get it back and toss 'em in the projector, I get to see 36 never-before seen images (no chimping!). It's like being a kid again on Christmas morning!

    ME Super, aka The Slide Curmudgeon
    Like Hatchetman, I'm planning a slide "bender" for spring/summer/fall. I have superb Refrema E6 processing now(Ed Burtynsky's Toronto Image Works) that's fast and affordable. Lots of 120 film on hand and Mamiya/Bronica 645/6x6/6x7 kits to gobble it up. Why wait?

  6. #246

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    704
    Indeed. If you have fast, affordable, local E-6 processing, use it! If you don't, don't stop shooting E-6. Continue to shoot it and then send it out.

    I don't live in a large metro area. My nearest E-6 lab is at least an hour and a half drive (Champaign, IL). I have no reason to drive to Champaign other than for E-6 processing. Much more convenient to drop it off somewhere and then pick it up in a couple weeks (actually if I drop it off on a Tuesday morning, it's back on Friday of the following week, so it's more like 10 days, not 2 weeks).

    ME Super

  7. #247
    CGW
    CGW is offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    2,798
    Quote Originally Posted by ME Super View Post
    Indeed. If you have fast, affordable, local E-6 processing, use it! If you don't, don't stop shooting E-6. Continue to shoot it and then send it out.

    I don't live in a large metro area. My nearest E-6 lab is at least an hour and a half drive (Champaign, IL). I have no reason to drive to Champaign other than for E-6 processing. Much more convenient to drop it off somewhere and then pick it up in a couple weeks (actually if I drop it off on a Tuesday morning, it's back on Friday of the following week, so it's more like 10 days, not 2 weeks).

    ME Super
    At least we both have access to service that works for us. It's been troubling to endure quality film services shutting down over the last 5 years. My local mom&pop pro lab dropped film service 2 years ago and just dropped film scanning last month, leaving me to charm/bribe friends with scanners. I remain loyal to our tribe but not without some pardonable kvetching.

  8. #248

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mission Viejo, California
    Shooter
    127 Format
    Posts
    1,456
    They have this newfangeld thing called the Postal Service. Can you imagine?

    I can order a processing kit and they will deliver it right to my doorstep, in only 2 days, and then I can process my own E-6 slides in less than 1 hour. --- For less than $2 a roll!

    I am not kidding. I couldn't believe it myself.

    The modern world, who knew?
    - Bill Lynch

  9. #249

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    704
    wblynch,
    I see you have listed yourself as a 127 shooter. Do you shoot E-6 in 127? Where do you get slide mounts for those? I thought about snagging a 127 camera and some film but don't see anywhere to get the mounts.

    ME Super
    ME Super

    Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

  10. #250

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mission Viejo, California
    Shooter
    127 Format
    Posts
    1,456
    Quote Originally Posted by ME Super View Post
    wblynch,
    I see you have listed yourself as a 127 shooter. Do you shoot E-6 in 127? Where do you get slide mounts for those? I thought about snagging a 127 camera and some film but don't see anywhere to get the mounts.

    ME Super
    I have not shot E-6 in 127 but yesterday I saw some long bulk rolls of Ektachrome in 46mm that would be for 127. There is also Rollei Crossbird available in 127 that makes beautiful transparencies.

    I haven't bought any mounts but I have seen them from time-to-time. Just keep looking.
    - Bill Lynch



 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin