Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,210   Posts: 1,531,980   Online: 1149

Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Kodak pretty much ceded transparency film dominance to Fuji some time ago, and Fuji ceded color neg products
    to Kodak. Rather than losing profit in endless price wars, this is no surprise. Each will now what it does best.
    The logistcal problem this leaves behind for some of us is that the only polyester-base sheet film left in production is now Velvia 100F, which isn't especially versatile. Astia has been discontinued and now E100G.
    Provia is made on an inferior triacetate base which isn't dimensionally stable, so is a pain in the neck with
    traditional darkroom processes requiring masking, accurate registrations, etc. I'm not worried because I already
    have so many shots on hand that there's no way I can live long enough to print even the best of them.
    I've got a few boxes of 8x10 100G left in the freezer, one more batch of Cibachrome, and enough dye transfer
    film for several years of printing once I retire. For more routine work I've already switched over to printing
    from color negs. But for you youngster's wanting an alternative to inkjet and Fauxtoshop, the options are
    thinning. Someone needs to invent a modernized tricolor camera utlizing black and white film, instead of just
    refurbishing ancient ones. It would be a fun project for someone with serious machine shop and optics skills
    and a bit of money to throw around.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Capitalizes on what? If barely measurable demand for E6 materials prompted Kodak's decision, what's left for Fuji?
    That's the same lame and simplistic argument that you pushed in two others threads: Kodak= everything. Wanna get on my ignore list for another week? Just say the word.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, time to grab a brick of E100VS.
    5x7 Eastman-Kodak kit / B+M 135mm Zeiss Tessar + Compur Deckel
    RB67 Pro S /50 4.5 / 90 3.8 / 180 4.5 / WLF / prism finder / polaback
    FED-2 / 50 2.8 Industar 26m / 85 f2 Jupiter-9
    Canon 300v / A2

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    That's the same lame and simplistic argument that you pushed in two others threads: Kodak= everything. Wanna get on my ignore list for another week? Just say the word.
    Look, no one's gloating about this, OK? You're welcome to bury your head in your own private bucket of sand. If factual=lame and simplistic, then put me on the list. Demand for E6 materials brought this on and just may prompt Fuji to do the same sooner rather than later.

Images
    Poop.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Kind of hard to justify an entire product line (Ektachrome) that only represents 1-5% of Kodak's film business. So it's no surprise that they are punting it -- the writing has been on the wall for a while, as Ektachrome product after Ektachrome product was discontinued.

Kodak wasn't kidding when they portrayed Ektar 100 as their replacement for Ektachrome when they announced it. That time has come.

As for the cross-processors, they don't really like fresh Ektachrome anyway. My daughter's favorite is Ektachrome 200 (EPD). Very nice coarse noisy grain. Obviously the only source is old stock on eBay -- but it's cheaper than fresh E100G.
    Last edited by John Shriver; 03-01-2012 at 10:56 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Demand for E6 materials brought this on and just may prompt Fuji to do the same sooner rather than later.
    Here's one where I have to agree with you and why I think Fuji's holding the bag on this one. Hopefuly, Fuji can captialize on Kodak leaving this segment and keep their E6 materials around for a good while longer, but if they can't... Other than their E6 products and Superia, what have they got?

Digital ate the reversal market some time ago. I'm not arguing the pros and cons of reversal materials vs. digital. Digital projection probably does $uck relative to analog slides. There's lot's of people who like E6 and this news stinks for them.

Personally, I have a few rolls of E-100G left and an unopened E6 single use kit. Trying to decide if I should offer it it all up for sale to somebody that really enjoys E6? IDK, if I want to sell it or "smoke it while I got it." Thoughts?
    Last edited by kb3lms; 03-01-2012 at 11:01 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: capitalization

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post
    Despite all their bull, I no longer trust Kodak....they were trumpeting the wonders of E100G as being the ideal Kodachrome substitute and the best thing since sliced bread, only a few months ago.
    Trust has been an issue for me with Kodak for a number of years now because of they way they'll promote and flatly deny discontinuing products only to announce discontinuation long after manufacture's ceased. Most recently with Plus-X - it was what, a couple of weeks between Kodak announced that it would only be available in five packs only and announcing that it was totally discontinued period (all formats, whether in five packs or individual boxes)?

At this point, the product lineup isn't what is at issue before, the bigger issue is trust: How long can a company that's lost the trust of its customers continue in business? Kodak's burned film customers enough times and they've burned digital customers on a good number of occasions too. At some point customers are going to stop gambling on Kodak altogether if they lose the trust of the marketplace (all products, not just film and related materials).

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kb3lms View Post
    Here's one where I have to agree with you and why I think Fuji's holding the bag on this one. Hopefuly, Fuji can captialize on Kodak leaving this segment and keep their E6 materials around for a good while longer, but if they can't... Other than their E6 products and Superia, what have they got?

Digital ate the reversal market some time ago. I'm not arguing the pros and cons of reversal materials vs. digital. Digital projection probably does $uck relative to analog slides. There's lot's of people who like E6 and this news stinks for them.

Personally, I have a few rolls of E-100G left and an unopened E6 single use kit. Trying to decide if I should offer it it all up for sale to somebody that really enjoys E6? IDK, if I want to sell it or "smoke it while I got it." Thoughts?
    I'm planning on some binge shooting since it's arguably pointless to stockpile what will become a PITA to get processed. Have a pile of the last 120 E100GX(fave), Velvia, and an embarrassment of expired Fuji and Kodak 120+135.

My fear is that Kodak's announcement will spook labs already watching their E6 lines coasting to a stop. Looking forward to spring/summer and hope things hold on, lab-wise, till the fall.

Shooter
    35mm
    I guess I will have to stock up some. I think E6 processing is still available for much longer.

Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin