Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,719   Posts: 1,514,894   Online: 1064

Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst 123456789101115 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I love E100G & VS for stereo photography but will be fine with Fuji stuff. I wonder if they will continue to make Ektachrome 100D movie film. I sell a lot of that in Super 8.
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The lack of demand for color slide film reflects the lack of promotion and general appreciation. It maddens me that some companies are able to promote and sell tons of crappy and completely unuseful products, yet one of the most breathtaking acheivement of more than 150 years of photography development ends up being looked down and ignored to the point of extinction. Only when we will lose color slide altogether more and more people are going to realize what has been lost. But then it will alas be too late. When I look at a 50+ years old Kodachrome, my heart aches. I don't want to feel the same about E6.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Plate Voltage View Post
    Trust has been an issue for me with Kodak for a number of years now because of they way they'll promote and flatly deny discontinuing products only to announce discontinuation long after manufacture's ceased. Most recently with Plus-X - it was what, a couple of weeks between Kodak announced that it would only be available in five packs only and announcing that it was totally discontinued period (all formats, whether in five packs or individual boxes)?

At this point, the product lineup isn't what is at issue before, the bigger issue is trust: How long can a company that's lost the trust of its customers continue in business? Kodak's burned film customers enough times and they've burned digital customers on a good number of occasions too. At some point customers are going to stop gambling on Kodak altogether if they lose the trust of the marketplace (all products, not just film and related materials).
    Trust is no longer a business consideration for Kodak. It makes no difference to the bottom line anymore. Kodak invested billions of $$$'s in their films and the brand, and their customers walked away. The currency of trust in private contract makes no sense when your customer is flirting with everything else in sight.

Most of Kodak's revenues are now made on their digital press systems where they rank in the top 2. These are B2B sales and growing. The B2C personal printer side is only treading water.

Frankly, this decision was likely made at the insistence of the Court-appointed administrator overseeing the C. 11 proceedings. Kodak announces the end of a product, but, in reality they could have banged off some master rolls and cut to demand for quite some time without a public market exit announcement. (For all we know this is what Fuji is doing right now). The rationale is the cost of production vs. demand. Same for Plus-x. Same for Fuji's Neopan 400 and 1600. Too few customers even to scale down.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    ...their digital press systems where they rank in the top 2.
    Kodak's doing well at something? Really?

Shooter
    Multi Format

Kodak E6 Gone!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    There is already another thread....
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ok, I will look for it. If a moderator reads this just delete this thread. I would make the original thread a sticky.

Thanks,
    Chris Maness

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kb3lms View Post
    Kodak's doing well at something? Really?
    Kodak bought Creo 7 years ago which was a really smart move. It married Kodak's colour management and distribution network with Creo's print control systems, especially Prinergy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creo

One can make a compelling argument that Kodak has actually done pretty well managing the decline of analog demand, especially on the motion picture side. There are forces beyond Kodak's control here, and the losses to digital were baked in more than a decade ago.

What they have done is mismanaged IP licensing and their play into personal printers is really a decade late. They also botched their early lead in sensor tech, which was sold pre-Ch.11.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kq6up View Post
    Ok, I will look for it. If a moderator reads this just delete this thread. I would make the original thread a sticky.

Thanks,
    Chris Maness
    Thanks. It's tough to attend two wakes at once.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have to say I am sad to see the E100G go away. The look of slides on a light table is something to behold... Even in small format.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin