Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,978   Posts: 1,523,691   Online: 1122

Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678910111216 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    How has digital replaced slide projection? I still can't find (or afford) a digital projector that can match the resolution of a 35mm slide.

I'm not too concerned about Kodak dropping reversal film. I've always preferred Velvia 50 over Ektachrome. Kodachrome was a real loss; I'm not so concerned about Ektachrome.

How will this affect cine films?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use to love shooting slides and projecting them. Just got out of the habit for one reason or another. Never thought the day would come that you may not be able to do it if you want to. Like saying goodbye to an old friend. Sad.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Artistophanes wrote: "Trust is no longer a business consideration for Kodak. It makes no difference to the bottom line anymore. Kodak invested billions of $$$'s in their films and the brand, and their customers walked away. The currency of trust in private contract makes no sense when your customer is flirting with everything else in sight."

I was actually talking about "trust" in the sense that Kodak, for a long time now, have been promising to support analog, then, within months, discontinuing products one after the other. That's nothing to do with customers choosing alternatives, analog or digital....it is just hubris, bad management and failure to compete on the part of Kodak. You can't blame the customers.

But it is another reason for customers to choose other brands with a better "image" of trust and reliability, particularly as the Kodak name disappears from shops and shelves.
    Last edited by railwayman3; 03-01-2012 at 01:19 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Can someone post the link to the original thread?

Thanks,
    Chris Maness

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I didn't see any mention of sheet film, but I assume that's gone too. Sux. Even though i scan most color I've always preferred starting with a chrome rather than a neg. I just like editing that way. Hope fuji sticks with it.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post
    Artistophanes wrote: "Trust is no longer a business consideration for Kodak. It makes no difference to the bottom line anymore. Kodak invested billions of $$$'s in their films and the brand, and their customers walked away. The currency of trust in private contract makes no sense when your customer is flirting with everything else in sight."

I was actually talking about "trust" in the sense that Kodak, for a long time now, have been promising to support analog, then, within months, discontinuing products one after the other. That's nothing to do with customers choosing alternatives, analog or digital....the latter is just hubris, bad management and failure to compete on the part of Kodak. You can't blame the customers.

But it is another reason for customers to choose other brands with a better "image" of trust and reliability, particularly as the Kodak name disappears from shops and shelves.
    About all I can "trust" is that analog as we know it will likely see some big changes in 2012--most them disruptive. Fuji seems to be moving quickly out of the photo chemistry business and shifting its lab clients to dry systems. That's not exactly music I like to hear.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    From the perspective of the overall world of photography, I'm sorry to see it go, but I don't find it surprising. My own slide shooting started tapering off 30 years ago.

My most recent attempts at transparencies have run into "local" processing taking two weeks or more, and in some cases, evidence of less than careful handling, and I don't use enough to even consider doing it myself. I do have a few rolls of Provia here yet, but they aren't being consumed very rapidly.

"The only thing constant is change."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sad but not surprised. I didn't shoot a lot of slide film, at least Fuji is around for now.
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    :-(
    testing...

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kq6up View Post
    Can someone post the link to the original thread?

Thanks,
    Chris Maness
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum390/...sal-films.html

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin